Lin6 SpiderII head as substitute amp for dive gigs

SevenString

RJ-D0, Metal 'Droid
Dec 18, 2002
Los Angeles
www.lesliespring.com
Lately, I've been doing the occasional fill-in gig with various cover bands. Well, sometimes these venues aren't exactly the Ritz-Carlton, if you get my drift, and I've been getting more and more apprehensive about having my "flagship" Vetta amp around various yay-hoos with their drunken antics. And that's just the band! :lol:

Seriously, I had a situation the other night where some idiot was sloshing his draft of bud all around my gear while he was trying to drunkenly get my attention during a song (seems to happen all the time). This was a venue without a raised stage, so these cretins think that the stage area is "open season" for idiocy.

Anyway, I've recently been thinking about this problem, so I came to the conclusion that I needed to risk something a little less expensive on these outings into moron-ville.

Enter the SpiderII. Now, I play a Vetta, but I already HAVE the original SpiderI 2x10, and it's okay for practicing, but at gig volume, it sounds like @ss. Literally, with all of the farting and whatnot. But recently, a few times that I've gone into GC, I played around with the SpiderII combos, just for kicks. Well, they sounded pretty freakin' good!

So last night, for the first time, I got to REALLY crank one of the heads, and it sounded GREAT! I mean, not just good: GREAT! It has 12 very well selected amp models, and a reasonable amount of FX choices, AND is compatable with my FBV.

Well, I ended up talking the sales guy into selling me the floor model for dirt. Let's just say it was, "Let me make a trip to the ATM." money.

I got this beast home, plugged it into my g-flex cabs and it freaking SMOKED! This thing is PAINFULLY loud at only 9 or 10 o-clock, and the tones are really amazing for such a cheap amp. Heck, with some tweaking, they're pretty amazing period! Surprisingly, the default settings are pretty good, too, although I had to roll off a little on the highs for some of the more "heavy" settings.

I deliberately cranked it to "Ouch, that hurts!" volume so that I could hear the real tonal character of this thing, and it held up completely!

Now, I'm not replacing my Vetta anytime soon... obviously I can coax better tones out of the Vetta than I EVER could with the spider. It's just that now I have a great sounding amp that i can take to the more unsavory gigs, and if some idiot spills a beer on it, at worst, i'm out a few hundred bucks, instead of a couple grand. bottom line is that the SpiderII head is one HELLUVA bang for the buck.

Sweet, thanks dude. I'm considering amp choices and don't have the money for a Vetta. How much are these beasts new? (I'm sick of used gear... only my wah pedal and wireless are new, everything else is used).

Very informative post, thanks for taking the time to add to the forum. I also had been battling myself on which Line 6 to purchase... considering my own personal circumstances even though different from yours Sevenstring, you have made my decision a lot easier.

Wow, I read up some more on the features, and I'm REALLY thinking about getting this. It seems pretty perfect for my situation.

SevenString, a few questions:
Is it noisy at high gains and high volumes? I see it has a noise gate, but does it destroy your tone at all?

Which cab is it designed for use with? I'm guessing they have a Spider cab, but I'm kind of new to Line6. I have a Marshall 1960A but I'm guessing the Spider would eat it alive.

Thanks man.

Heya Seven_String :D

Just out of curiousity; about the cabs... Are those just like 'normal' cabs with 4 speakers at like 8 or 16 Ohms, or do they have special filters or something to fit other Line6-products?

I've got a whole Engl-set (580preamp_930/60poweramp_slanted4x12(Celestion V60)) but if I wanted a Spider II Head (for the same reason like you have : being careful with expensive gear), I could just use my Engl cab?

And with what speakers are those Line6 cabs equipped?

Thnx

Frank

hey, \m/FRNK\m/

the spiderII head MUST run stereo, at 8 or 16 ohms per-side. the line6 spiderII cab is already wired at 8ohms stereo, as are my genz-benz g-flex cabs.

it's a serious design flaw, but i've heard of people "blowing" the spiderII head by trying to run only one side.

as for the speakers themselves? not sure myself.