Amp thought

Horus

and his imaginary friend
Mar 4, 2005
Atlantis
Okay, a thought hit me while I was taking a crap before; I like my Line 6 Vetta (1) head, but it sounds so cold and digital. I was actually thinking of stepping it down to get a Spider Valve head, since I think it just plain sounds better than the Vetta. Does fellow NonAnon think that it's a good decision?

Also, anyone think they're gonna make a Tube Vetta any time soon? :p

My opinions: don't do it.

I had really high hopes for the spider valve, and for the first time since I stopped being a gear-noob, I genuinely wanted to like a Line 6 amp but was dissapointed. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see something along the lines of a Vetta-valve in the future, but I don't expect results to be much better than with the spider valve. The response to the spider valve hasn't been stellar though, so we'll see. While neither would be my #1 amp choice, I think you're better off with the Vetta than with the spider valve.

As for suggestions, if the spider valve is what you are going for in terms of features, I highly reccomend the H&K switchblade. It's a great amp...just as much versatility (if not more) and it sounds a million times better. They are more expensive though(the combo usually goes for about 1500, the head probably a little less than that).

POD X3 + valve power amp = in effect, a Vetta Valve. That's the setup I've got going on right now.

Meedley, actually that's a good call on the H&K Switchblade. I think I might actually go for that instead. :headbang:
why would you go from a vetta to a spidervalve...besides hybrid capabilities
Better overall tone, and lack of need for the extra features on the Vetta. I don't actually use most of the shit that's on the Vetta in quantities that require me to have every single button going at once. I like my Vetta, but it's just a little bit too much to be on one amp. I really only got it because it has the ENGL Powerball model too, and now I have new taste in tone. I can't get authentic tube tone out of a Vetta.

I dont think you can go wrong with Carvins and you might not even need the V3 unless you want maximum saturation. Must confess I dream of one myself but I have more tones than I know what to do with now. If I were to do anything it would be rack mount opposed power units. 2/12 Combos make sense too but its too late for me.

but really, theres a shitload of good used tube heads out there as well.

Agreed...a logical suggestion....what's with the Line 6 thing?...if you want a true valve sound, forget Line 6.
To be honest, I don't care about "True Valve Sound" or how "Analog" something sounds. I just like what I like. What I'm looking for is an amp that will let me not have to use anything except for my guitar and my amp and still sounds good. And that's why I decided before to switch my lust from the Line 6 to the Hughes & Kettner. :p

Running crappy digital effects through a tube amp still sounds like crappy digital effects. Sounds like you want a tube amp with organic sounding digital effects built into the head...keep dreaming! You say your amp sounds cold and digital, then you say you don't care if it sounds true valve or analog...hmm...I'm with Ken for once..."alright then".

So you want a tube amp, but you want a modelling amp, but you don't care about tube tone? Alright then...
It's not that I don't care about tube tone. It's that it just so happens that the amps that have the tone I like the most have both tubes as well as digital parts.

I probably fucked up somewhere in one of my last posts. Fuck it. I'm too lazy to see where I screwed up.