LEASH LAW "Dogface" (Black Lotus Productions)

Papa Josh

Minister of Propaganda
522681.jpg

LEASH LAW Dogface

Black Lotus Records
www.leash-law.com

1. Fight
2. Dogface
3. Stealing Grace
4. Hail To Blood
5. Banion
6. Better When Betrayed
7. Martial Law
8. Hellhole
9. Paving The Way

Dogface is a release I've been looking forward to, as the band featured former CRIMSON GLORY/SEVEN WITCHES vocalist Wade Black, NOCTURNUS' Emo Mowery on guitars and Richard Christy on drums. I will start off by saying I don't really care for the production, it sounds too compressed.

Next, let's address Black's vocals. I don't get it. How did this guy get the CRIMSON GLORY gig? SEVEN WITCHES? I mean seriously, every once in awhile he pulls it off, but overall, his vocals just lack power and they really start to grate on the ears after the first few songs. In fact, the only songs I truly enjoy are the first two. "Fight" is an uptempo, galloping number with a great lead solo section, good chorus and I like the guitar textures during the verses. The title track, despite the muddy guitar sound, has some good ideas, but that's about where it ends.

I don't want to rip too hard into these guys, as either a) this will be their only album and won't matter much anyway, or b) they could make a few adjustments and redeem themselves.

Oh well, so much for expectations..

Rating: 4/10