Leash Law - Dogface

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Leash Law - Dogface
Black Lotus Records - BLRCD 061 - 2004
By Philip Whitehouse

leash.jpg

Power metal supergroup. There, I've said it. Anyone left reading this review can safely be assumed to rather like Priest-esque vocal histrionics, over-the-top theatrical lyrical themes, guitarists unleashing solos like it's the 80s all over again, and in general songs that sound like national anthems with double-bass drums, as I believe one of the members of Madder Mortem described it. This one consists of Wade Black (Crimson Glory, Seven Witches) on vocals, Richard Christy (Death, Control Denied, Iced Earth) on drums, Rick Renstrom (solo artist, Rob Rock) on lead guitar, Emo Mowery (Nocturnus) on rhythm guitar, and Stephen Elder (Rob Rock) on bass. With such a stellar line-up, the scene is set for a killer heavy metal album, right?

Well, in some respects, yeah. Thing is, last time I heard Wade Black singing was on Seven Witches' Xiled To Infinity And One. and I don't remember him being quite as... well... irritating as he is here. His vibrato'd vocals are constantly warbly and sound rather forced, and his high-pitched screams are really quite ear-splittingly bad. To add insult to injury, he managed to make obligatory power-ballad 'Banion' quite cringeworthy. However, the album is pretty much saved by a punchy, modern production and some tight, powerful performances backing up the cracking songwriting. 'Hail To Blood' is a powerful, thrash-tempo stomper of a track with some cool orchestration, while 'Stealing Grace' boasts Dragonland-like soaring melodies and an attention grabbing chorus.

The influences here are the 80s hard rock and thrash-inflected heavy metal bands and some of the more modern, American heavy metal acts, adding up to a pretty aggressive yet hook-laden and melodic metal album. If you can overlook the sometimes excrutiating vocal histrionics, you'll find a lot of enjoyment within.

7/10

Leash Law Official Website
Black Lotus Records

A pretty accurate review. I enjoy the power metal histrionics of this band, with its definite Judas Priest overtones :worship: but the vocals by Wade Black are way over the top and on a couple of tracks, almost unbearable with their high pitched yelping. :loco: . If this guy can get some discipline into his singing, Leash Law will be a real force to reckon with.