Lehman Brothers files for Chapter 11 - Biggest Bankruptcy Ever

The Ozzman

Melted by feels
Sep 17, 2006
In My Kingdom Cold
No matter what you think, this does affect you:

Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. (LEH) filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy Monday in New York, listing debts of $613 billion and naming as unsecured creditors owed hundreds of millions of dollars banks from Tokyo, Hong Kong, New York, Singapore and Taipei, among others.

Topping the list of Lehman's unsecured debts is approximately $138 billion in senior bond debt, followed by another $17 billion in subordinated and junior bond debt, according to documents filed at 1:45 am ET in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York.

The bankruptcy filing by the Wall Street firm followed a failed effort to find a buyer or persuade the U.S government to bail it out of massive real-estate- related losses. The bankruptcy petition said Lehman's assets are worth $639 billion.

Citibank and the Bank of New York are trustees for the huge load of bond debt that tops Lehman's list of unsecured liabilities, court documents say.

AOZORA of Tokyo is listed as the largest bank lender, with a loan of $463 million. Next is Mizuho Corporate Bank Ltd. of Tokyo, with a $289 million loan.

Additionally, Lehman listed as unsecured debts a $275 million bank loan from Citibank, a $250 million bank loan from BNP Paribas, a $231 million bank loan from Japan's Shinsei Bank Ltd., a $185 million bank loan from UFJ Bank Limited of Japan, a $177 million bank loan from Sumitomo Mitsubishi Banking Corp. of Tokyo and a series of other sizable bank loans.

Mizuho Corporate Bank, Shinkin Central Bank, and Chuo Mitsui Trust & Banking, all of Japan, the Bank of Nova Scotia's Singapore branch, Lloyds Bank in New York, Hua Nan Commercial Bank of Taipei and Bank of China, New York Branch, are all on the list of unsecured creditors owed more than $50 million by Lehman.

The Wall Street firm said none of the broker-dealer subsidiaries or other subsidiaries of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. will be included in the Chapter 11 filing and all of the broker-dealers will continue to operate. Customers of Lehman Brothers, including customers of its wholly owned subsidiary, Neuberger Berman Holdings LLC, may continue to trade or take other actions with respect to their accounts, Lehman said.

The Lehman board authorized the filing of the Chapter 11 petition in order to protect its assets and maximize value, the firm said.

The New York law firm of Weil Gotshal & Manges is representing Lehman Brothers. The case has not yet been assigned to a judge.

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200809150751DOWJONESDJONLINE000296_FORTUNE5.htm

Also: Merrill Lynch has been forcefully bought out by Bank of America and AIG has asked the Fed for 40 billion in new capital.

The recession just got extremely worse

EDIT: From another source on Drudge

``There is likely to be a domino effect as other firms and individuals who relied on Lehman for financing feel the effects of its meltdown,'' said Charles ``Chuck'' Tatelbaum, a bankruptcy lawyer with Adorno & Yoss in Florida and former editor of the American Bankruptcy Institute Journal. ``The whole thing is frankly frightening for the U.S. economy.''

times are getting crazy man, but im in it for a long haul with a smile on my face, and you know why? because we only get one life, and it's on this god damned rock, man, it's right here, and hell, i've still got my music, i know my music won't let me die..

I have a question: are companies like Lehman required to report their balance periodically? I'm just wondering if this was a result of Lehman hiding their debts or of people simply putting too much faith in them despite their debts.

I lost my job a month ago, working 5 years for a hospital, luckily I'm enrolled in a class where I will get a job for a private ambulance company in Dec or a fire department..

BTW if what's happening to America is a model of capitalism..with the rich getting richer and the CEO's scamming every employee and oil-companies goughing every citizen...i'm ready for a alternative

I have a question: are companies like Lehman required to report their balance periodically? I'm just wondering if this was a result of Lehman hiding their debts or of people simply putting too much faith in them despite their debts.
They are required to report on a quarterly basis their financial situation because they are a public company and not private like a company along the lines of Cargill Inc. who doesn't have to report to anyone such things. Lehman as far as anyone can see didn't go down due to fraud in their books.They just made bad bets backed by mortgages like most of Wall Street and are paying the price for it.

I have IRAs invested with Merrill Lynch. I'm losing money. We just have to wait this out.
IRA's, 401K's etc. imo are the worst places to put your money because you are pretty much at the mercy of a fund manager and have very little if any control... you would have better luck building your own portfolio and choosing your own stocks which you can buy and sell as you please... so that a situation like this happens in Wall Street you can limit your losses especially with what is called a "Stop or Stop/Loss" order. It's basically a stock order that is like insurance in case things go bad and you need to get out quickly.If the stock dips down too low to a certain price(how much pain can you take?) it sells automatically. You buy a stock for $10 and Wall Street crashes but you are sold out at $8.00 and the stock closes at $5.00 for the day. You saved yourself another $3 per share in losses. That is what a Stop/Loss does.

I know that 401K/IRA's etc. have tax advantages but to me that is offset by not fast enough liquidity... so you save money in taxes but lose money from horror days like now not being able to liquidate fast enough and being hit with a penalty if you do... if you take some time and devotion like you do to music and learn the ropes of stock trading vs investing (the buy and hope method) you would do alot more better imo... It is not that difficult if you are a person of average intelligence to learn how to trade... no one is a better manager of your money then yourself because no one cares more about your money then you... If you want book recommendations on short term trading and/or long term investing to do on your own let me know... i can give you good recommendations....

Everyone is losing money at this point (unless you went short)
Not everyone... I'm mostly in cash and picking my spots for short term gains... going Long though... buying the dips and getting out at the rallys... remember Ozzman... TA over FA... :)

TA and FA are both equally important.

I do agree that this has nothing to do with fraud. This just crossed the line between 'risk management' and 'speculation'

EDIT: By the way, give me a good book on Technical Analysis that isn't a dictionary type of book.

I know that 401K/IRA's etc. have tax advantages but to me that is offset by not fast enough liquidity... so you save money in taxes but lose money from horror days like now not being able to liquidate fast enough and being hit with a penalty if you do... if you take some time and devotion like you do to music and learn the ropes of stock trading vs investing (the buy and hope method) you would do alot more better imo... It is not that difficult if you are a person of average intelligence to learn how to trade... no one is a better manager of your money then yourself because no one cares more about your money then you... If you want book recommendations on short term trading and/or long term investing to do on your own let me know... i can give you good recommendations....

I thought that was the point of mutual funds - you pool your money under a manager who knows what they're doing, and also has the capital to diversify in ways that you never could. That and it's a pain in the ass to have to follow business news all the time just to make sure you're not about to lose a huge chunk of your money.

There's a difference between a 'fund manager' and an 'investment manager'

An investment manager is someone you can go to in an office and say 'I want to invest 5,000 dollars' and they'll ask you some questions about risk preferences and such and then set you up with an account and whatnot and you could buy said fund.

A fund manager actually manages said fund directly and is under a larger umbrella