Lepond's bass tone (studio and live)

MorphineChild205

Lt. Horatio Caine
Jun 20, 2003
Chicago
What does everyone think of Lepond's bass sound on the three albums he's played with Symphony X on?

I think his tone on V was good, but could've been a little louder. On The Odyssey his tone was less distinctive than on V, with less mids and such. He was also buried beneath the massive wall of guitar on this album.

On the live album, Lepond's sound is awesome! Most bassists in metal don't have a tone like he has (it's usually a lot more lows which make the bass less distinctive and muddy), but you can hear Lepond, even when he doubles Romeo's riffs.

I heard the bass sound on the new album is supposed to rock. I hope so, because I just transcribed Accolade II and Frontiers, and unless your EQ is set to max bass, minimum treble, you miss half the things Lepond plays!

Leopond rips it up on the live album, and he uses minimal distortion, so it has a really rich sound to it. I think that Romeo is doing everything he can this time around to give Leopond his due. His sound definitely could have been better on the previous 2 albums, but it isn't his fault.

As I can only recall his tone from the Odyssey at the moment (I listened to it on the bus this morning), I can say his tone was rather bland and really really hidden. I hope his sound comes through on this album, and I hope he adds a new dimension to the music.

Agree with everyone. As a bassist myself, we need to be heard too! Especially someone as talented as Mike Lepond. I was listening to The Odyssey this morning on the way to work and I couldnl't help but think, "man, his bass lines are amazing but they're just buried in that mix!"

We should start a pre-album release petition to the band to "Raise the Bass!" It would just sound that much better!

BTW, I can't help but mention how I was so glad to hear John Myung's bass way up there in the mix for "Train of Thought." That CD just rocked even harder with that massive low end up front. Similar topic, just different bassist. Sorry, had to throw that in there. :)

Haha, I totally agree with that about Train of Thought. I'm surprised Sym X doesn't have the bass really up there in your face because they ARE a metal band at heart, that cranked low would just make it that much more metal.

They don't because it's essentially Romeo's band, and the vast majority of metal guitarists don't view bass as more than an ornament and sound filler. And in some ways, that view isn't unjustified - with the many layers of keys and synths they have going on, another voice isn't all that necessary (I'm a bassist myself by the way). What I'm REALLY hoping is Romeo writes some counterpoint lines for Lepond, though it's pretty unlikely. Otherwise, I hope he just puts him there so his fills and such stand out.

coolsnow7 said:
They don't because it's essentially Romeo's band. What I'm REALLY hoping is Romeo writes some counterpoint lines for Lepond, though it's pretty unlikely. Otherwise, I hope he just puts him there so his fills and such stand out.

First off, Leopond has plenty of counterpoint lines in the Oddessey, the most obvious one being the entire song "Inferno." His bass line is the root of the song, with Romeo's lead above it. I believe that if anything, the bass has become more prominent over the years as Romeo has toned down writing the stuff he cannot do live (such as 2-3 guitar parts at the same time). The bass on the earlier music would mirror Romeo way more than it does now, like on Damnation game. It is Romeo's band, and rightfully so, but I don't think he holds anyone back, especially Leopond (listen to Live on the Edge of Forever, where Leopond improvises everywhere).

MasqueReaper said:
First off, Leopond has plenty of counterpoint lines in the Oddessey, the most obvious one being the entire song "Inferno." His bass line is the root of the song, with Romeo's lead above it. I believe that if anything, the bass has become more prominent over the years as Romeo has toned down writing the stuff he cannot do live (such as 2-3 guitar parts at the same time). The bass on the earlier music would mirror Romeo way more than it does now, like on Damnation game. It is Romeo's band, and rightfully so, but I don't think he holds anyone back, especially Leopond (listen to Live on the Edge of Forever, where Leopond improvises everywhere).

I agree - the bass on the last two albums follows the guitar much less than it did on the earlier albums. Inferno, Accolade II, Communion, Awakenings, The Odyssey, Egypt, and Frontiers are all great examples of this. Sometimes, though, the bass needs to double the guitar most of the time (an example would be King of Terrors).

I really liked Lepond's playing on TO whenever it could be heard properly, like the basic bassline in "Inferno" or the fills in "Awakening", but when I come to think of it, the sound was really generic.
On V, there was just too much stuff going on to pay attention to the bass in most places, sadly. I really just remember some (magnificent) basslines in "Communion...", "Egypt" (two no-brainers, really) and "Rediscovery" and Lepond clasping hands really well with Rullo on "The Bird-Serpent War".
It seems to have been generally agreed on the his playing on LOTEOF was close to perfection, though. Crisp delivery of the basslines, good improvisation and a delightfully crunchy sound that's not so far removed from Geddy Lee's Fender sound, actually. I'd still give Tom the edge as far as sound quality is concerned, just because the fat, smooth sound he had on TDWOT and TIO was sooo un-metal. There's also nothing wrong with playing root notes or doubling guitar lines as long as it can be made out to be more than just a low, muddy heap of notes with no clearly defined edge and no own character.

Lepond's playing might be superior to Miller (I'm not one to judge that because in my eyes, they're both excellent bassists), I just wish he had more prominent basslines and fills written for him and well as a more distinct sound. Those announcements make me think my wishes have been granted... let's hope for the best. :)

Well I suppose he's gonna use caparison dellinger bass for the new album, and hopefully will mic an amp, not go only direct. With those, it surely will be better tone.

MasqueReaper said:

I'm probably wrong on this because I don't have the song with me at the moment, but doesn't the bass mimic the guitar during all of Inferno?

NegativeVolume said:
I'm probably wrong on this because I don't have the song with me at the moment, but doesn't the bass mimic the guitar during all of Inferno?

For the most part, yes. The intro (and its many reprises) have a seperate bass line, since there's no rhythm guitar there. Aside from a few fills during the verses (which I'm currently working out) and one right before the last chorus, the bass doesn't stray from the rhythm guitar.

For this reason, I tend to enjoy the bass playing on the more epic and drawn-out Symphony X songs more. The shorter metal-type songs rock, but there isn't much the bass can do when Romeo is playing a heavy rhythm riff (it's not Lepond's fault).

Progbass said:
Well I suppose he's gonna use caparison dellinger bass for the new album, and hopefully will mic an amp, not go only direct. With those, it surely will be better tone.
I've never actually seen a dellinger bass in person other than seeing Lepond use one. Do they really sound that much better?

Ptah Khnemu said:
I've never actually seen a dellinger bass in person other than seeing Lepond use one. Do they really sound that much better?

Don't have experience with those basses, lol. But since it has emg p/j pickups and the woods and parts are good too, so maybe it will sound good.

Progbass said:
Don't have experience with those basses, lol. But since it has emg p/j pickups and the woods and parts are good too, so maybe it will sound good.
Indeed. I really do wish they carried Caparisons in Guitar Center or something. I wanna try that mo'fukka out.