les claypool and steve

dimensionidol

free thinker
Jul 21, 2002
north of italy
Visit site
hey steve(and the others on forum ) what do you think
of your old companion of adventures in bay area hell now?

i mean i really like his work with monster BUCKETHEAD:eek: but i don't like actual primus albums

i read in a 'zine that you steve don't like the whole primus affair

i personally really their first 3 album !:D

what do you think all of you guys out there?

:D

I haven't heard or seen any thing of Les in years. I don't know what his current band sounds like, but I'm sure there's some bass jams on there.
Let me explain about the Primus thing. I don't know which mag article you read but there's more to that. It's true that I'm not into that whole Primus trip, although I will always recognize Les as THE biggest bass monster post 1980. Back in the day he jammed with a band called Blind Illusion. I totally loved this band. That's where I first discovered Les. Watching him progress to Primus was weird for me because Blind Illusion was nothing like that. They were a good old Bay Area thrash band with progressive and psychedelic vibes...oh, and the best bass playing I ever heard. A lot of his chord use influence was evident on my work on the first Autopsy album. So that weird joke/rapping/off-funk style that was Primus just didn't show the creative talent I was used to from Les. I went to a lot of Primus shows, and even listened to a couple of their albums for a short while. But it was for the sake of Les, and the four fingered monster turned into a thumb slapper and auction voice dude and I couldn't hang anymore.
To compare or put me and Les in the same sentence is a total joke. When I first saw him jam with Blind Illusion in 87 or 88 I felt one inch tall, I think after all these years and all this practice and experience I maybe have gained a little back...maybe to about two inches!

I haven't heard or seen any thing of Les in years. I don't know what his current band sounds like, but I'm sure there's some bass jams on there.
Let me explain about the Primus thing. I don't know which mag article you read but there's more to that. It's true that I'm not into that whole Primus trip, although I will always recognize Les as THE biggest bass monster post 1980. Back in the day he jammed with a band called Blind Illusion. I totally loved this band. That's where I first discovered Les. Watching him progress to Primus was weird for me because Blind Illusion was nothing like that. They were a good old Bay Area thrash band with progressive and psychedelic vibes...oh, and the best bass playing I ever heard. A lot of his chord use influence was evident on my work on the first Autopsy album. So that weird joke/rapping/off-funk style that was Primus just didn't show the creative talent I was used to from Les. I went to a lot of Primus shows, and even listened to a couple of their albums for a short while. But it was for the sake of Les, and the four fingered monster turned into a thumb slapper and auction voice dude and I couldn't hang anymore.
To compare or put me and Les in the same sentence is a total joke. When I first saw him jam with Blind Illusion in 87 or 88 I felt one inch tall, I think after all these years and all this practice and experience I maybe have gained a little back...maybe to about two inches!

hey hippie...

i don't wanna compare him to you:)

i simply put in the thread title the one that i talk about and the person that i want to answer me.:D

i like you both you have sure an incredible 4 fingers technique that les nothing imagine at all.:p

on the other hand les use an incredible slap and tap stuffs that i never listen from you.

usually i prefer 4 finger left technique than slapping but les style is really amazing

so i think that you are masters of instrument in two completely different ways

anyway thank you for your answer...

and go on like this...

you rock

:headbang:

The Holy Mackerel fuckin roooooooooooouuuules!!!!!!

You have to hear it.

Only thing I truely like by him.

Hi Mr D!

You know you are theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee bassplayer in my book, so even if I also don't like to compare musicians, my spirit kneels for you bro. I have some new tracks coming your way, very soon.

mr V

Check out the Flying Frog Brigade Vol.1
Some crazy jamming and a stunnin version
of "Shine on you crazy diamond" that is worth
the album.
Mostly in finger style, if anyone cares.

Cheers,
Hakkikt

Originally posted by HippieOfDoom
But it was for the sake of Les, and the four fingered monster turned into a thumb slapper and auction voice dude and I couldn't hang anymore.

WHAT!?
Les does'nt use 4 fingers.You mean his thumb as well as his index,middle and ring?
How can anyone use their pinky?Its too fucking short!
Anyone,please,explain.Does he use his right hand pinky to play faster?
Eamonn

Originally posted by LordFireworm

WHAT!?
Les does'nt use 4 fingers.You mean his thumb as well as his index,middle and ring?
How can anyone use their pinky?Its too fucking short!
Anyone,please,explain.Does he use his right hand pinky to play faster?
Eamonn

Uh Alex webster, Dave Vincent (pre Domination), Glen Benton (pre Legion), Mark Van Erp, Roger Paterson (R.I.P.),...all use(d) 4 fingers. Have you ever seen a death metal video (Mtv, Live tape)? Its preety standard in brutal death. It just makes it easier to hit blast beat double picking. Though B. War (Marduk) does it with 2. It becomes easier to use your pinky as you get used to it (practice).

Originally posted by Unregistered

Uh Alex webster, Dave Vincent (pre Domination), Glen Benton (pre Legion), Mark Van Erp, Roger Paterson (R.I.P.),...all use(d) 4 fingers. Have you ever seen a death metal video (Mtv, Live tape)? Its preety standard in brutal death. It just makes it easier to hit blast beat double picking. Though B. War (Marduk) does it with 2. It becomes easier to use your pinky as you get used to it (practice).

I use three fingers to play in the 3-2-1-2-3-2-1-2-3... pattern.Surely this is just as rythmically accurate as using 4 fingers?
I practice a shit load as it is and cant see how simply using a 4 finger gimmick can be faster then the way I'm doing it now.

Les Claypool and Primus is GREAT! I´ve practiced and played along with all of the primusrecords and...well, it´s great thumb/slap/pluck excercising! ...

But...who the fuck cares about LES on THIS discussionboard? Steve is GOD here!