les claypool and steve

Originally posted by LordFireworm
I use three fingers to play in the 3-2-1-2-3-2-1-2-3... pattern.Surely this is just as rythmically accurate as using 4 fingers?
I practice a shit load as it is and cant see how simply using a 4 finger gimmick can be faster then the way I'm doing it now.

So you can actually play something like 'torn into enthrallment' by Suffocation with 3 fingers?

Originally posted by Coypu

So you can actually play something like 'torn into enthrallment' by Suffocation with 3 fingers?

Why does this seem like such a crazy idea?Its the same rhythm pattern surely.
I cant play any Suffocation now since I have'nt tried learning any.Maybe I'll give it a shot.
Anyway,as far as that particular example goes,that honestly sounds possible using the technique I'm using now.
I certainly have'nt reached my full speed potential now anyway (I've only been playing for 3 years) but I'm pretty fucking fast.
My and my guitarist cover "Devoured by Vermin" by CC (He has been playing longer than me) well so...I dont know.
What do you use?If its 4 fingers,is it alot faster then three fingers?

Originally posted by LordFireworm
Why does this seem like such a crazy idea?Its the same rhythm pattern surely.
I cant play any Suffocation now since I have'nt tried learning any.Maybe I'll give it a shot.
Anyway,as far as that particular example goes,that honestly sounds possible using the technique I'm using now.
I certainly have'nt reached my full speed potential now anyway (I've only been playing for 3 years) but I'm pretty fucking fast.
My and my guitarist cover "Devoured by Vermin" by CC (He has been playing longer than me) well so...I dont know.
What do you use?If its 4 fingers,is it alot faster then three fingers?

I was just curious since I play with both 2, 3 , 4 finger depending on the situation and the reason I asked was because I am not all that great with 3 and 4 yet so I was just wondering if it was possible to reach speeds like that with only 3 fingers. I tried but I can only do it with 4 fingers.

And just a question (I have no clue myself so I'm not trying to prove anything here, just asking):

using 32123212321..., how can this be faster than 43214321, with 3212 your finger 2 has very little time to get back to playing position since it is used every second note you are playing, with 4321 all fingers are only played every 4th time and this should be alot faster since this gives each finger more time to get back into position?

Originally posted by Coypu

using 32123212321..., how can this be faster than 43214321, with 3212 your finger 2 has very little time to get back to playing position since it is used every second note you are playing, with 4321 all fingers are only played every 4th time and this should be alot faster since this gives each finger more time to get back into position?

Well thats just practice.For the 3-2-1-2-3-2-1-2...Pattern I keep my fingers VERY close to the strings and started to practice slowly with a metronome.Then over time,I just got faster.
I know what you're saying about the 4 finger method and I dont really know how to explain it.All I can say is that I'm sure I could'nt play faster with 4 fingers.Really.
Everyone has their own methods (Steve does'nt even use the 321232123 pattern when he plays with 3 fingers) so just stick with what you're comfortable with but I'm SURE I cant get faster with 4 fingers then what I'm using now.

>>using 32123212321..., how can this be faster than 43214321, with 3212 your finger 2 has very little time to get back to playing position since it is used every second note you are playing, with 4321 all fingers are only played every 4th time and this should be alot faster since this gives each finger more time to get back into position?<<

For me, my pinky is too slow and weak in comparison to my other fingers. It's more comfortable (for me anyways) to just use 32123212 or even 32132132, and I can pull those of with some notable speed.

If I COULD use my pinky better, I'd probably try 43214321. It might be just as fast or faster with practice. Heck, I've seen people play with all 4 fingers as wel as their THUMB. Thats just overkill, I think.

432123 you mean thats the point 2 extra notes in the same amount of time. If you can do blasts with 3 by all means... (Marduk does with 2) 321321, you should do 123123 when you practice it will build up your speed going down (get them as fast as each other) also do 232323 get that as fast as 121212 (this is what i do) and your pinky will just get stronger with practice (343434, 432123432123, 43214321, 12341234...)

Steve digiorgio and les, aren't the only bass players in the world... i have said this in other threads, this world is full of talented musicians.....

take a listen to Victor wooten(songs: "a show of hands" and "classical thump"), or michael manring, stanley clarke, Jaco Pastorius(rip), adam nitti and....... the list never ends.....

peace!!!

Les Claypool = awesome bass tones

Steve = my role model as a bassist

I've heard a few Manring albums (hyperbass!) and really only like his work with Attention Deficit. An extremely creative guy, no doubt, but his work isn't something I strive to listen to.

I haven't really heard much of Wooten except some funk music. Wasn't my thing at all. I have some 8 minute long bass solo of his on my computer, but its something I've heard Billy Sheehan top.

The only solo bassist who's music i really enjoy is Jonas Hellborg's.

Anyways, back on topic, don't challenge someone's preferred bassists just because you might suspect they are 'sheltered' to other virtuosos in the field. If you want to try and belittle someone's style and accomplishments, do it in some other forum.

It was just my opinion!!!!!,i just like how those guys play, i also like digiorgio's playing a lot, it was one of my first influences... And i think you can't forget the bass solo in tommy the cat, i love that one!!!!.

anyway, maybe in this forum there's people that wants to learn more about bass.... so a good thing to know more about it is to know some new musicians, i think there's no problem with that.
i'm not saying "you're not going to like digiorgio/les anymore, if you listen to..."...... i'm just showing some new names to the ones that don't know them!!!!

Originally posted by capeda

The only solo bassist who's music i really enjoy is Jonas Hellborg's.

YEAHHHHHHH!!!!!!

he is my favourite bass player now!:D

wictor wooten is boring.he play only slap bass and in a conservative way.
is always chang chang and some ghost note at the speed of light!:eek:

he is not creative at all.

les claypool is a master of original ways in slapping.

:D