Let us work the LOW END

UMF

Just Another Member
Dec 17, 2011
www.facebook.com
Since there has been quite a lot threads about specific frequencies that are somewhere in the Subs, Bass or LowMid area, I would love to hear some tips how to approach that area. This is one or if not the most complicated area to get right and I know I am not by myself. My specific questions would be:

1.) How to decide what sits lower in frequency (Kick or Bass) ?

2.) Highpass Filters (any tips on how to find the correct steepness and frequency ?)

3.) The 80 - 250hz area (Any starting points to clean it up?)

1.) Sidechain

2.) Set a LPF below ~500 Hz to scan with your HPF.
People will probably disagree tho.

3.) NUKE IT.

2.) the lpf can help, that´s fine.
however, if you´re mixing a song where the guitars alternate between E (~82Hz) and A (~100Hz),
you probably don´t want to set a 24db/oct hpf at 90Hz :)

3.) mostly compression. multiband on guitar-chugging, heavy compression on bass, high passing everything that doesnt need that range (sometimes aggresively)

Are there some good resources about low end where you could say " Hey, that really helped me"? I bought Ermz's guide way back and that helped a lot.

I'm not sure about good resources, but one problem I see often is that in smaller rooms, (bed room sized) no matter how much trapping you use, you run into a lot of modal response problems in the frequency range that you are describing (up to 300Hz) ..and early reflection problems which make smaller rooms difficult to work in. I'm not saying you can't, because you can..but a lot of time you're left to running out to the car or checking on other systems and headphones to make sure you got it right.

Ultimately you want to trust exactly what you hear coming out of the speakers and not have second guess, but this is where larger (more volume) and proper treated rooms with attention to detail as far as listening and speaker position and as well as speaker/da/controller/amp choice and critical listening skills come into play.

Up to 300hz or so is a real bitch and the hardest frequency range to get right in a less than stellar room and monitoring environment, ...but there have also been many great records made in smaller rooms at Motown, Abbey Road, Sun, Muscle Shoals etc. so I guess there's no excuses or quick fixes in the long run besides tweaking your room, skills and talent to the fullest as time and money allow. gl

I'm not sure about good resources, but one problem I see often is that in smaller rooms, (bed room sized) no matter how much trapping you use, you run into a lot of modal response problems in the frequency range that you are describing (up to 300Hz) ..and early reflection problems which make smaller rooms difficult to work in. I'm not saying you can't, because you can..but a lot of time you're left to running out to the car or checking on other systems and headphones to make sure you got it right.

Ultimately you want to trust exactly what you hear coming out of the speakers and not have second guess, but this is where larger (more volume) and proper treated rooms with attention to detail as far as listening and speaker position and as well as speaker/da/controller/amp choice and critical listening skills come into play.

Up to 300hz or so is a real bitch and the hardest frequency range to get right in a less than stellar room and monitoring environment, ...but there have also been many great records made in smaller rooms at Motown, Abbey Road, Sun, Muscle Shoals etc. so I guess there's no excuses or quick fixes in the long run besides tweaking your room, skills and talent to the fullest as time and money allow. gl

I have a quite good sized and treated room when mixing, my biggest problem is that even when I A/B it to a reference track, I always end up with too much energy and mud between 70 - 200hz. It is making me crazy!!!:confused:

I hear ya, ..What you're describing is not uncommon and a lot of times can come back to room/speaker choice and setup. It could come down to a number of things or a combination of things ie. What kind of speakers, how far they are from the front wall, ported? height position, listening position,, DA, controller, room size and shape,.. does treated mean, pro treated or some bass traps, but not measured,.. etc.

Cutting too much on the low mids or by default can result in a loss of energy or a scooped sound, boosting too much can get cloudy/muddy etc. most of the times the lowest frequencies of the bass can be right above the lowest frequencies of the kick, so the kick gives the thud and the bass is right above it, but it's nice to have distinction in the sub low, lows and low mids regardless.. usually lots of stuff going on there in an all out assault... ..checking on multiple systems is one way that can help nail it down, but being able to not second guess what you hear can be a lot less time consuming.

I hear ya, ..What you're describing is not uncommon and a lot of times can come back to room/speaker choice and setup. It could come down to a number of things or a combination of things ie. What kind of speakers, how far they are from the front wall, ported? height position, listening position,, DA, controller, room size and shape,.. does treated mean, pro treated or some bass traps, but not measured,.. etc.

Cutting too much on the low mids or by default can result in a loss of energy or a scooped sound, boosting too much can get cloudy/muddy etc. most of the times the lowest frequencies of the bass can be right above the lowest frequencies of the kick, so the kick gives the thud and the bass is right above it, but it's nice to have distinction in the sub low, lows and low mids regardless.. usually lots of stuff going on there in an all out assault... ..checking on multiple systems is one way that can help nail it down, but being able to not second guess what you hear can be a lot less time consuming.

Room is professionally measured, speakers are Genelec's 1031a.
30 degree angeled, 160cm apart and away from my listening position. Room is treated to have it close to linear as possible to the frequency spectrum. I think I can hear clearly, but why am I thinking that my mixes need more lows and low mids compared to my reference track, but in the end my mix is too boomy? I'm going nuts !!!

I think I can hear clearly, but why am I thinking that my mixes need more lows and low mids compared to my reference track, but in the end my mix is too boomy? I'm going nuts !!!

Same here dude. Always the same feeling about my mixes. It's not about "more lows", it's about better distribution of the lows. At least that's what I understood in my case but I still don't master that shit ahah! Low end and 2-4kHz are my daily nightmares!

Room is professionally measured, speakers are Genelec's 1031a.
30 degree angeled, 160cm apart and away from my listening position. Room is treated to have it close to linear as possible to the frequency spectrum. I think I can hear clearly, but why am I thinking that my mixes need more lows and low mids compared to my reference track, but in the end my mix is too boomy? I'm going nuts !!!

1031's are alright. I've owned a pair and used to mix on them, ..but thought they were too polite sounding and traded them to a friend for Dynaudio BM15's which were a marked improvement and better for judging the bottom octave on the more aggressive stuff.. 1031's never cut it for me.. but it comes down to preference and whatever works... I rarely mix anymore, but have used quite a lot of different speakers, ...have never got married to one pair unless they produce results .. When it comes to finding what works,.. it's a game of inches sometimes, I guess. gl