Let's all e-fellate Bruce Dickinson - Chemical Wedding

Pyrus said:
Hah! Jean_Pierre just lost the argument before he said anything. This is almost as good as having Cynical disagree with me.
I'm sure you'll be dissapointed to know that I think that Piece of Mind and Powerslave are both better than the s/t or Killers.

The Chemical Wedding is my favourite metal album of all time. There's no bad songs on it, although Killing Floor isn't that great, the music is awesome, the lyrics intelligent and well-written and the mood of the album keeps up all the way through unlike most albums. All other Bruce albums have bad songs, except maybe Skunkworks which is brilliant as well, but this one's just mind-blowing from the beginning to the end.

If you're curious about what the songs mean you can read The Bruce Dickinson Commentary, which a friend of mine wrote. There's quite good explanations of the often somewhat cryptic lyrics there.

Pyrus said:
You have a point. But since I KNOW I'm right, I think it's just coincedence and the one time JP deviates from acceptable parameters like way overstating Jag Panzer's role in things.

Their role is to ROCK. :headbang:

Too bad you're a stoner and that's clearly fucking up your memory, because I'm actually always right.

i've had Chemical Wedding for well over a year and have never listened to it. i'm just checking it out now and i have to agree that it is pretty damn good.

i guess i'll have to give the whole thing a listen one of these days.

The Chemical Wedding is pretty fucking unbelievable. Start to finish it's his best solo work, and among his very best work period. But, I will say there are songs on Accident of Birth that I like better than any one particular song on TCW. "Freak" just kicked me across the room the first time I heard it, and "Darkside of Aquarius" is amazing. Back to TCW, my favorites would have to be "Jerusalem", the title track and "Book of Thel". What a marvelous piece of work. Themed but not purely a concept record....just done damn right.

I read mention of Skunkworks a few replies back, and I agree it's good too. I think it gets a bum rap because it's not a metal record per se. I think the closest thing I could call it is progressive heavy rock, or modern rock. It's just so much more intelligent than anything else "modern rock" though. Regardless, "Strange Death in Paradise" is epic bliss, and "Back From the Edge" is killer too. More people need to check this album out and give it a chance.

Skunkworks is contemporary swill conjured up by some sort of mid-life crisis on Bruce's part. Thankfully, like Halford, he got past that bullshit and started putting out the music he's known best for.

Great album, and my favorite involving Dickinson. I still prefer Killers, but that has nothing to do with Bruce, obviousy. 'The Chemical Wedding' has a mind-bending, if not largely conventional, construct with an unwaivering atmosphere and contextual solos that are actually worth getting excited over. This album works like the best output of The Beatles (bear with me), as the songs are traditionally structured, but with a clear and realized artistic vision to elevate the work into the level of transcedence.

I don't understand this thread. It's a good album, but for fuck sake it's hardly "Powerslave" or "Piece Of Mind". Is there an "Aces High" or "Where Eagles Dare" on any Dicko solo albums? No. His vocals are clearly better on early Maiden works too. Sure, his solo output was far superior to the pish Maiden put out with that fucker Blaze Bayley, but Maiden's first seven studio albums are better than any of Bruce's solo stuff. Start a thread about how good the cover of "Killers" is.

Not only is this one of the greatest albums ever, Blaze Bayley is a pretty damn good singer. So you don't win the prize.

Appreciate the utter fucking heaviness of Chemical Wedding. Shit like that riff in "Book of Thel" easily crushes the vast majority of Maiden's work–I dunno if TCW is better than Powerslave, but it's up there.