Let's predict!

woosta

Sep 7, 2002
Visit site
Let's predict next year's ProgPower lineup! Not who you'd LIKE to see, but who you think will actually be there. I'm betting:

Rhapsody
Sonata Arctica
Demons and Wizards
Stratovarius
Children of Bodom (possible)

Predictions:
Evergrey
Opeth
Stratovarius
Sonata Arctica
Rhapsody
Wolverine

Hopefully:
Grave Digger
Rage
Children of Bodom
Stratovarius
Dark Moor
Lost Horizon
Brainstorm
Vanden PLas
Elegy
Nocturnal Rites
Nightwish
etc............

Originally posted by woosta
Let's predict next year's ProgPower lineup! Not who you'd LIKE to see, but who you think will actually be there. I'm betting:

Rhapsody
Sonata Arctica
Demons and Wizards
Stratovarius
Children of Bodom (possible)

That line-up seems rather hopeful to be honest, but I would not complain one iota if it were to come true!

Demons and Wizards is a loooong shot. Replace them with Opeth or Nocturnal Rites perhaps?

Evergrey will be selected for sure. Kamelot have a new album soon and will need to promote it. Same with Symphony X and Hammerfall.

I'd be happy with just Rhapsody. :D

I don't think Demons and Wizards is a long shot seeing as Schaeffer (sp?) will be there this year when BG plays. It seems like a "scouting" mission to me because I don't believe he's just there to see the fans.

I also don't see Symphony X back again, Evergrey for the 3rd time, or Kamelot again. That's just my opinion. After this year, Glenn has raised the bar to where it won't be beneficial to have repeats so soon or a band like Evergrey for the third time in how many years?

I didn't see that, but to this fan an Evergrey slot is a wasted slot. It would decrease the chances that I will drive 18 hours again next year unless I see a Running Wild, Stratovarius, Pretty Maids or Morgana Lefay on the ticket!

Sorry Woosta. You have to remember I am a fan first and a promoter second. Thus, if I have the opportunity and power to see my *FAVORITE* band in the world once every *two* years, you can bet your left testicle I'm going to do it. Thus, Evergrey will be the ProgPower USA house band so to speak and will be invited every other year.

As for the other bands, it just depends on who is available and who I think is the best fit. Is there a chance that SX or Kamelot could return. Of course. However, ProgPower IV will not be a repeat of II.

I would hope that the other 9 bands that I book will keep you interested. If not, I appreciate all the support you have given me in the past and wish you the best of luck in the future.

Glenn H.

There's no way he (Glenn) is going to please everyone. If you don't like the lineup, don't go. It's simple. I'm amazed at 2 things
for this years fest:

1) All the bitching about there not being enough prog.

2) The lineup itself

I've been to both fests so far, and I intend to keep on going.
It's not just the concerts themselves, but the party, and being able to see some dear friends of mine whom I met through this kind of music. So far, it just keeps getting better...

I'm sure Glenn appreciates the suggestions, but as he said, it's really all about WHO is available.

Since this is thread is really about a dream lineup, here's mine:
(in no order)

Symphony X
Evergrey
Freak Kitchen
Sonata Arctica
Lost Horizon
Stratovarius
Iron Savior
Elegy
Enchant
Nocturnal Rites

JW

JayDubya
All the bitching about there not being enough prog.

I totally agree with you JD. I don;t know what people are complainijng about. There are 5 power and 4 prog bands at this year's festival, and Devin Townsend will probably appeal more to prog than power fans. The first two festivals there were more prog bands than power bands, so it is only fair to have more power bands this time. (The festival is call ProgPower) I am sure that ProgPower will only keep getting better (although it will be hard to top this year's festival) and therefore I can asure you that I will keep coming back no matter how far away I live from Atlanta.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that if band X shows up, then I'm not going. I'm just saying that if the festival starts to repeat itself, then it needs to be more interesting at the top end. I've no doubt that the festival will be the top one around. I guess I'm sorta stating the obvious thing that you are more than aware of Glenn.

If the lineup looks anything like what's been predicted on this thread and you throw a Kamelot, Everygrey or BOP in, then that's fine. However, I feel that if you start repeating in twos and threes, then there will be problems eventually.

There are still bands out there (Pretty Maids, Stratovarius, Running Wild, Rhapsody, Iron Savior, Rage, Sinergy, Children of Bodom, Helloween, etc) that will draw people automatically. Add 1 or 2 of those to any show and you'll have your sellout right there regardless of the rest.

Shouldn't it be the other way around??? Shouldn't you try and please other people before yourself?? Well when it comes to something like this anyway?

Nope. :D

If I am going to bear the financial burden of the festival entirely by myself and risk losing my ass (as I did do last year), then you can damn sure bet that I am going to at least enjoy myself at my own show. I think I have done alright with my fan first, promoter second philosophy so far.

As for the prog vs power debate, I will continue to mix it up as it comes down to availablity.

That said, I will of course continue to book a diversified lineup that I hope will draw the folks out. I have a few very special wild cards I'm going after next time. I think everyone just needs to relax the sphincter for now and simply enjoy themselves.

Glenn H.

Wow....this is absurb...I have a few comments...

First off, stuff like Pretty Maids, Dark Moor, and other "smaller" bands would not attract a crowd like this year's...ProgPower has only said they draw the "top" bands in the genre...and Pretty Maids is no where near the top...

As for the bitchin'....most people would kill to see half the bands on this list....I first got into Blind Guardian three years ago (the band to get me into Euro Metal) and I would have never thought I would get to see them in my life. Now they aren't even my favorite band anymore, but they will followed by my favorite band...

Third, here's who I think is most likely to be at next year's show...

1. Rhapsody
2. Stratovarius
3. Sonata Arctica
4. Nightwish
5. Labyrinth
6. Vanden Plas
7. Evergrey
8. Wolverine (THEY BETTER BE THERE!!!)
9. Opeth
10. Either Andromeda, Spiral Architect, or any other more "tech" band of that nature...

"and Pretty Maids is no where near the top"

Are you even awake when you're typing this? You're gonna even suggest that Labyrinth, Wolverine, or Andromeda would outdraw or outsell the Maids? You're talking about over 20 years of metal from the Maids and about 7 from the other 3 combined! You don't last 20 years without moving product and keeping fans. The Pretty Maids are always a featured band at the Euro festivals. Those other bands are on side stages. That wouldn't change here.

Euro Metal Fan quote: "First off, stuff like Pretty Maids, Dark Moor, and other "smaller" bands would not attract a crowd like this year's...ProgPower has only said they draw the "top" bands in the genre...and Pretty Maids is no where near the top... "

I am not a big Pretty Maids fan but I would say that they are pretty famous. And Dark Moor is much more known than Reading Zero or Zero Hour. I have nothing against those bands, they are all great, but if you consider them "top" bands of their genre, then Dark Moor is even more "top". Dark Moor would make a great opening or 2/3 slot band for ProgPower 4.0.