Let's reflect upon The Poodles/Midnight Sun

PM1metal1

Apr 12, 2008
Remember when Midnight Sun put out the "metal machine" cd and everyone went negatively nuts because it was what it was? Looking back at it now, and as hindsight is always 20/20, what can we say about Midnight Sun's "metal machine"? Can we accept it now as a legit release or are we still considering it a "comedy cd" and any other number of negative ideas that were put forth back in the day?

I liked it then but it was a guilty fucking pleasure that's for sure. Now I The Poodles stuff and it makes it easier for me to revisit Midnight Sun. What's the thought around these parts?

I actually picked up the Midnight Sun CD cheap from The Laser's Edge, not really knowing what it was. It certainly seems cliched as hell.

Unfortunately, I don't know what the Board thought of it....

Jason

Midnight Sun.....great release! It brought me back to the days of Malice and Accept. I also love the Poodles and their (Samuel and Norgren) former band Jeckyll & Hyde. Tongue in cheek or not, good tunes are good tunes. I kinda look at Dream Evil and Hammerfall the same way; don't think aboutit too much, just have fun with it. If you like it.... great, if not, no big deal!

I freakin' loved the Midnight Sun release. Funny you mention The Poodles because there were many places on that CD that are very much similar to Midnight Sun, mostly in the vocal harmony style/riff combo. Both are excellent bands.

I never really liked it, but geez, talk about some talent on that release. Magnus Karlsson and the singer who would go on to form the Poodles?

BTW, I think the version of Metal Will Stand Tall that the Poodles did was better than the Midnight Sun version.

I never really liked it, but geez, talk about some talent on that release. Magnus Karlsson and the singer who would go on to form the Poodles?

BTW, I think the version of Metal Will Stand Tall that the Poodles did was better than the Midnight Sun version.

I didn't think it was better at first but now I certainly do. It's much "meatier" in sound for one thing!

...There was a time where I was listening to that cd non-stop...!

same here. :kickass: Some great tunes on The Ring: Tales from Midgard.

*sigh* unfortunately this was the last transmission on their official website:

Hello Metal Orchs!! :)
19-01-06
We are now working with the DVD recorded at Mondo in Stockholm and
it’s going to be the DVD of the year!
The next album is in progress, more info to come...

Metal forever!!!
/The band

:erk:

I like Dream Evil and The Poodles but haven't heard Midnight Sun. Does anyone know of any samples online?

Also in case you haven't heard, The Poodles have a new single coming out July 2nd.

Never actually heard anything by THE POODLES. Would i be far off guessing if i assumed they were 80's hair metal inspired? Also didn't their guitarist recently leave the band to join HAMMERFALL? Sure i read that somewhere.

You wouldn't be far off, just more modern & better. And yes, Pontus left them not too long ago for Hammerfall.

Last edited by a moderator:
You wouldn't be far off, just more modern & better. And yes, Pontus left them not too long ago for Hammerfall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx9M-wgiN70

Whoever had the idea of putting this clown dressed up like a pirate in the video had to be smoking something. :lol: The song isn't bad, but there's much better melodic hard rock out there than this. With that said, I'll explore them a little more to make sure I'm not missing out on something. I like the drummer and his showmanship the best out of all this so far.

~Brian~