J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
Limbonic Art – Legacy of Evil
Candlelight Records – CDL363 – October 23, 2007
By Wayward_Son

limbonic.jpg

So back in 2003, Daemon and Morfeus split Limbonic Art because they apparently ran out of ideas. However, on that oh-so-naughty day of 06/06/06 the duo announced that the symphonic black metal institution would return. That return comes in the form of Legacy of Evil. Was it worth the wait?

If standard, unoriginal, high speed black metal with keyboards thrown into the fray is what you have been praying to the Dark Lord to bring unto the world, then the answer is a resounding “yes”. If you are one of those Faithful Readers who desire more from black metal art, such as a spiritual mystique, emotional soul, and an aura of darkness, you would be well advised to stay away from this black metal by numbers return. Seriously, is this the band that has scenesters swooning at their feet?

Back in the good old days, this writer heard Moon in the Scorpio. It was recommended based on the love for Emperor’s and Samael’s early albums. While hardly the masterpiece some claim it to be, it was an enjoyable listen that quickly grew tired. Since then, the band has obviously gone in a more brutal, less mystic direction. Limbonic Art have most certainly toned down the keyboards (which are what they became known for in the first place) within the songs, and turned up the guitars speed. This makes for an album that, if not for Limbonic Art’s name on the front cover, no one would care about.

Fortunately, Daemon and Morfeus decided to include a few good songs for us listeners. The title track is a nice addition to the monotony, with time changes and good use of all the tools at the band’s disposal such as the keyboards and creativity. The band was also nice enough to include a song as powerful as 'Grace by Torments'. Easily the slowest song on Legacy of Evil, it also shows the band is not as mechanical as the drum machine they use. They can actually project emotion and still create an atmosphere.

In the end, Legacy of Evil is unnecessary. It will obviously be lapped up by fans of the band’s previous works, and that is understandable. However, Faithful Reader, do not go into this thing expecting to be blindsided with potent symphonic black metal. This is third rate stuff with a known name in front of it. Remember the band split because they ran out of ideas. Unfortunately, the time off did not provide any new ones.

Official Limbonic Art Website
Official Candlelight Records Website

I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Never heard these guys before, but it's a raging slab of black metal with atmospheric touches. A lot better than so much of bedroom-quality "necro" crap getting praised to the hilt.

Somewhat of a harsh review... I will eventually get around to this one, but it won't be any time too soon. You just have me interested in comparing our opinions...