listen to 30 seconds of new AT THE GATES, if you will

einride

your best friend
Feb 29, 2008

i'll say this much: tompa is one of the best extreme metal vocalists there ever was

Last edited by a moderator:
^Ah shit really? I had my hopes up for that album...
But gods damn the new At The Gates is gonna be killer :headbang:

Don't get me wrong, Exit wounds is fast and frantic, but doesn't (for me) have the right sound, which i put down to the Bjorler brothers i suppose.

I really like this song, but don't much care for the album as a whole. Ass-a-hole.

I wonder what its like to:

put out several great albums > break up in 1996 > be incredibly influential to hundreds of bands > get back together in 2010 or whatever > put out another three albums of really formulaic garbage > have a lot of the bands that you inspired be way better than you are now > just keep doing all of this for some reason

the three newer albums are just so painfully mediocre.

I wonder what its like to:

put out several great albums > break up in 1996 > be incredibly influential to hundreds of bands > get back together in 2010 or whatever > put out another three albums of really formulaic garbage > have a lot of the bands that you inspired be way better than you are now > just keep doing all of this for some reason

the three newer albums are just so painfully mediocre.

Fucking nailed it.

I feel this way about a lot of the bigger bands that either come back or are still around. On one hand it's solid to have bands that will always draw in a live setting (so I hope they are bringing new bands along) but, on the other, what value are they providing? They're not moving anything forward or, in many cases, even equaling their past releases.

That's a much larger conversation that really depends on the band, I suppose.

As for ATG, MFJ nailed it. If i were to walk into a bar having no idea that there was a band that night and a bunch of random local dudes played sounding like new ATG, I'd probably be pretty content to watch. The material isn't bad, it's just someone trying to sound like ATG.

Reactions: MFJ
fuck a new atg.

listening to this currently:

this rando on youtube actually did quite a good job "remastering" this album, which honestly, while being an ETERNAL IMMORTAL CLASSIC, is a little bit too dry and mid-heavy. this is nice to listen to for a change

Reactions: MFJ

I really like this song, but don't much care for the album as a whole. Ass-a-hole.

What is it that you liked about it? Sounds like a SotS throwaway track. I fell asleep half way through as I played this while attempting to nap. Only song that stood out before I dozed off was this one.

Litter an album with half of the tracks in this vein and it MAY be worth a follow up listen.

What is it that you liked about it?
I'm not going to debate the merits of any new era At the Gates, I'd just be wasting our collective precious time.

If you wanna talk about the best songs/riffs/moments from The Red in the Sky is Ours, With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness, or Terminal Spirit Disease we could post all night though.

Reactions: Reign in Acai