little solo thing i came up with (no recording, just tab)

flying_whale

Rome 64 C.E.
May 17, 2006
Seattle,Wa
www.myspace.com
D-----------------------12h13h15-17h18h20p18p17------------17----------------------18h22p20p18-------18h20h22p20p18s17------17h18h20p18p17----15h17h18----13h17p13h15p13h15s10vibrato
A--------------------------------------------------18-----18-----18--------------20----------------20-------------------------18------------------17------------15
F------------9h10h12----------------------------------17-----------17-19-17s19
C----------
G7h8h10
D

it is D standard tunning. No timming posted yet. I worked out the licks, i will now practice it to get it to speed, especiallly the string skips.
please rate it!

(1) Try using a monospace font. I know, I fuck up myself, so I can't say an awful lot, but it's really the only way to even get close. And if you have to use that 'edit' button four or five times, fine.

(2) When you get it spaced properly, do you mind if I beat you to the recording (assuming I get my DAW up... ever!) or would that totally kill your ego?

Jeff

no that wouldn't kill my ego at all, it makes me feel honored, seriously. Sure, PLEASE record it, i'm gonna make a powertab file for it with the timming and upload it.
I will record it myself when i will be good enough to play it at speed.. that would take a while anyway

shit, i will do that tomorrow, since now i booted myself into linux and i'm compiling a package (which happens to be wine and some windows dlls to get powertab going on ubuntu, i like the build by hand wine better than the one's on apt-get's repositories).

so my windows instalation is totally messed up, damn nividia and their new drivers. So i can't convert it to midi for the moment. I can't record anything on linux for now, because my sound card is retarded on linux (intel high def audio on board). Btw, jeff, what soundcard do you recommend for kick ass recording on linux?

PM me with whatever you can about the sound card and I'll see what I can find, and if you haven't looked at LinuxQuestions.org you might find what you're looking for there (I have an HDA Intel on board as well, and strangely enough I can only get my sound working in the 686-SMP kernel with acpi turned off in GRUB). I'd check out that UbuntuStudio page (there may soon be a distribution 'Mubuntu' just for music production); as far as hardware goes, it might be easier to get a good outboard box through USB 2.0 or FireWire, but if you're willing to disable the onboard sound to keep the computer less confused (two sound cards aren't always happy with each other) you might want to look into getting an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 ( http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showproduct.php/product/3126 ) and a separate preamp or two for it (I just ordered an ART Tube Pre of some sort for $40, having heard nothing but excellent things about it, so that might be a good place to start). You'll need a preamp because, unlike your onboards and your Sound Blasters and other various home/office/gaming cards, the 2496 does not have its own internal preamp; this is nice because you have good converters and you can put whatever preamp you may want in your chain and not sound funny. Unfortunately, for speakers you'll either need S/PDIF or RCA plugs (or a 2RCA->1/8" adapter from RadioShack) to hear anything, but this is a pretty small price to pay considering so far we're only up to $130 USD. So, long story short, Audiophile 2496, preamp, adapters where necessary, disable your onboard sound in the BIOS and look around on the internet if something throws you off. For MIDI you can just check that link out and program MIDI manually (if you can't read music, monospace the tab or put it in a monospace text file, tell me what timings are where, and I'll program it for you) in Ardour or gazkitibrillions of other programs (you'll learn to love Synaptic very soon if you haven't already). I'll try to get to it before I tune my D guitar down to C#, school and MIDI permitting.

Jeff