Live Click Tracks - Need Help With Headphones!

Johnny Wright IV

New Metal Member
Jul 3, 2014
Chicago, IL.
www.facebook.com
Hey guys, new here so sorry if this is on the wrong sub-forum, couldn't tell if it merited FOH or Backline more :loco:

I'm getting ready to play live with my new band and this is my first experience using live clicks/backing tracks. We're running REAPER off my laptop into an M-Audio FTP and left to board - right for clicks.

We've been rehearsing with this setup for a little while and everything's going fairly well (no crashes, lags, latency etc.) The only issue which we've faced is that occasionally our drummer's headphones will cut out. It seems to be the typical cheap earbud shorting out issue that you'd have on an iPod or phone with some skullcandys (or the like) where you need to hold or spin the input to get full playback.

To get him the clicks we run
Laptop > M-Audio FTP > 1/4th to 1/8th converter in the output > 1/8th extension cable > cheap ass earbuds that he insists upon :mad:
(I've also tried running a 1/4th extension to the converter then headphones)

Seems even the earbuds direct into any of the outputs on any interface seem to cut out in this way, go figure.

Is there a cheap or DIY way to get him clicks that wont short out as I'm almost positive the issue is that he's using $15 skullcandys

EDIT: I've found the issue to be the 1/4th to 1/8th adapter plug is loose and wont securely hold a male 1/8th plugging into it

Are you using a mono line out from the M-audio to connect the headphones? That can get messy, and you could get sound on just one side. Also, the 1/4 to 1/8, is it stereo or mono? Does it have one black sleeve or two?

You should use the headphone out of the interface, that way it's stereo and proper level.

Well the issue occurs even on the headphones out of the interface. The headphones out actually creates and unbalanced stereo mix because the click is hard right and the backing it hard left.

I think the issue lies in the fact that we're trying to use a 1/8th into a 1/4th with the converter plug. Granted it's not happening all the time, just when he moves and in turn twists the input.

Is a wireless or 1/4th jack headphone just the way to go here?

If it's shorting out, nothing will fix that. Get better headphones, and maybe buy a small headphone amp the drummer to have by him that way he can control the volume as he wants. The line outs shouldn't be for pushing headphones. I think most headphone amps let you set to mono input too so he'll get mono in both ears if that helps. I never had luck with the cheap brand headphone extension cables (LiveWire type stuff). Also would short out, or the jack would feel loose. I bought a headphone amp, and run a single 1/4" stereo mogami from interface to it. I use the laptop also for synth, so don't trust him with it lol

UPDATE: After enough troubleshooting & isolating the source of the problem I've realized that my 1/4th to 1/8th converter/adapter/whatever plug is the culprit. I've got another adapter plug lying around that's a screw in for my Sennheisser studio phones which works fine with the Sennheisser 1/8th but every other earbud type headphone isn't secure enough/wont stay in.

I know there's a few random ones lying around the rehearsal space so next time I'm there I'll try them out and see if the problem persists.

Can anyone suggest an adapter plug that will hold up and allow an 1/8th male to plug in nice and securely?