Live Midi + Audio Sequencer

Brett - K A L I S I A

Dreaded Moderator
Feb 26, 2004
France
www.towerstudio.net
Hey all,

a quick question here. Are there any devices that would allow us not to use a computer on stage (cold sweat...)? What we need is something being able to play multiple audio tracks (at least one stereo for choir and various samples and one mono for the click) and to send a lot of MIDI informations to the different keyboards and FX devices on stage.

Or course, it has to be VERY reliable ;)

Any ideas, suggestions, experience, etc...?

Brett

I'm actually looking for something like this as well... The idea of using a sample library live on stage just scares me :ill:

You're going to have to use a multi-track for the audio backing and use a channel loaded with MTC to sync to a hardware sequencer. That's the only way I can see it happening without a PC. I've searched many times to not come up with any answer other than using a laptop, but since I wouldn't even trust my Mac live I'm still searching for the best hardware solution.

I'm always puzzled at why there's a perception that as soon as a PC/Mac goes near a stage it instantly becomes insanely unstable....if it works at home/in the studio nothings going to change unless the computer is physically damaged.

Compared to a stable computer a hardware mutitrack and MIDI sequencer is going to be subject to the same risks/problems i.e dodgy power supply, hard drive fault.

For a non PC all in one solution you might want to check out The Alesis 6HD (also the 8HD)

http://www.alesis.com/product.php?id=19

Does everything you want I think. I think they're doing them for about £500 now.

Place it inside an isolated rack unit so the vibaration wont shake it and put a fan towards it. Get another computer with the exact same setup in case the first crashes or something. Might work ;)

NOTHING can escape the fog. NOTHING.

......Unless you has THE JESUS on ur side....
1524688327_48b7de3f82.jpg

Maybe stick a trashbag with a few cuts in the back for ventilation over the laptop? That'd keep moisture out, and I don't think it'd cause it to overheat unless you totally sealed the thing in it.

The screen of the laptop must be visible to operate it, so maybe a glass on the front is needed...
Considering the price of all this, I'm thinking a cheap MacBook (that I wouldn't care much about) would be the way to go actually :)

Know what? I think maybe the solution will be to use rack-mounted Mac Minis with a very small LCD screen mounted on the keyboards' stand. I'm saying "Minis" with a "s" because thanks to their quite affordable price, we could probably get two of those (even maybe old ones from ebay) and have both of them running at the same time with a KVR. And if the first one dies on us: unplug USB and Firewire cables from Mini A to Mini B and not loose too much time (or worse).

Oh I forgot, one of the function of the computer would be to run Aptrigga in a real time for Kick and Snare.

You could even mount a monitor to the top lid of a mixer case, and put the mouse/keyboard/kvm on a sliding rack tray.
Yeah but that would imply that the rack would have to be ideally placed and in most cases this won't be the case since:

Man Brett, with these couple of threads you've started inquiring about special gear, one would think you were gearing up to do a headlining tour of the solar system! :lol: Only kidding man, good luck on the hunt :kickass:
Lol, actually more trying to find the best solutions for the crappy little places we're probably be playing supporting bands that will not leave enough room to get our stuff conveniently placed :)