Live session I mixed at Assault & Battery 2 Studios, London

AEL89

Jan 22, 2009
The band is my own - Empress. Recorded live at Assault & Battery 2 Studios in London.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RYzfRXgc38&hd=1[/ame]

Enjoy!

Give me a shout if anyone wants any recording info too. Could also dig up samples if anyone is keen.

there's a thin layer of oil between the two layers - kills some ring. Also kills a little bit of top end unfortunately but it still sounded great on this. No triggering needed for this mix.

I wish the guitars had just a bit more guitar. But this is very good, much tighter than most bands play. I love that bass tone btw

Edit: "I wish the guitars had just a bit more guitar"

I'm retarded. I wish the guitars had just a bit more gain

sounds cool man, certainly a unique guitar tone you guys have going on there. what do you play?

Thanks dude - lead singer is 5150III into a Mesa Cab and the other guitarist is a JVM into a Marshall with Greenbacks. Both mic'd with 58s. We don't really go for the normal heavy tone I guess.

I wish the guitars had just a bit more guitar. But this is very good, much tighter than most bands play. I love that bass tone btw

Edit: "I wish the guitars had just a bit more guitar"

I'm retarded. I wish the guitars had just a bit more gain

Yeh, we were fucking angry at ourselves for not using more gain. Bass is ESP P/J into an Orange Thunderverb 200 into an old Mesa 4x10 which was owned by John Entwistle. Most of the tone is from me playing so hard it hurts haha.

Sounds good dude, really like your vocals :)

Thanks very much that's my brother on vox - he's certainly worked really hard on his voice and I think its paying off! I managed to get some really heavy compression going on the screams though by automating the compression ratio. It's down to the mic really - an Audix OM7 - which minimised the spill quite a lot.

Be sure to check out our facebook dudes - facebook.com/empressband. Cheers!

Certainly something different and interesting, which is hard to come by these days, those vocals are really great.

Thanks very much dude. I posted some other stuff up a few months ago but incase anyone missed it, here's another track of our's:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to bump this again (last time now though ;)) - just want as many people to hear as possible!

The very first thought I had when listening is that the guitars sound rather under gained for my liking...then I stopped caring because the song fucking rawks.

Loving everything about it man, but the vocals stand out as being particularly badass. Looking forward to hearing more stuff from you guys.

The very first thought I had when listening is that the guitars sound rather under gained for my liking...then I stopped caring because the song fucking rawks.

Loving everything about it man, but the vocals stand out as being particularly badass. Looking forward to hearing more stuff from you guys.

Haha, cheers. Yeh - I mentioned in an earlier post that we were annoyed at the under-gained guitars but I don't think its that bad to be honest. If I could go back and do it again we'd probably only add a hair more gain.

Thanks very much though dude - check our facebook - we've just started gigging so it would be great to see you down some time.