Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
Lizzy Borden - Deal With The Devil
Metal Blade - 2000
By Rodrigo

/images/covers/LizzyBorden.jpg

Shock-rocker Lizzy Borden is back with his newest album Deal with the Devil. This album was released in 2000 and it has taken me this long to write a review for this t album. This is album is pure Lizzy, filled with all the horror and evil we come to expect from him and it is much better than ever! The music is pure rock and roll, fast and fun. The songs found in Deal with the Devil are all diverse and I can immediately remember something special about each one.

Like the melodic and hard-charging opener "There Will Be Blood Tonight". The song is filled with excellent melody lines as well as some very cool crunchy riffs. As is the case in the entire album, Lizzy has some excellent vocal melodies and sings really well. Throughout Deal with the Devil, he mostly stays in a mid-range but occasionally he has no problems with belting out some high pitched screams. A very interesting song of the album is the middle-eastern influenced "Zanzibar". The song starts off very slow with a sitar and eventually all the instruments join in. The entire song maintains this eastern feel to it and there the instrumental part is very cool just because it features this sort of vibe. The song that is right afterward is one of my guilty pleasures of Deal with the Devil. "Lovin’ You Is Murder" is one of the rock ballads that sounds very similar to something that Def Leppard would write. I just simply love the song and the fact that it is so catchy. I can definitely see this being a popular concert song. Other highlights of Deal with the Devil are the driving rock and roll title track and the very unique "We Only Come Out At Night". This song is driven by steady drumming and keyboards. It features distorted vocals and I hear some industrial music in it. All these features definitely gives the song a very different feel from the rest of the songs. But I haven’t even discussed my favorite song, which is "The World Is Mine". I just simply love the tempo and groovy vibe I get from this song. This is another great catchy song and it features a great chorus and excellent drumming.

Deal with the Devil also features two cover songs. One is the Alice Cooper cover of "Generation Landslide" and a Blue Oyster Cult cover "(This A’int) The Summer Of Love". Of these two songs, I prefer the B.O.C. cover better because it’s heavier than the original and the Alice Cooper cover is basically the same song.

Overall, I think that Deal with the Devil is a great album. There are some excellent tunes that keep your attention and they don’t get old with time. There are a few mediocre songs but nothing to give me a negative impression for this album.