load/reload/metallica/randy staub

Absolutely agree with this. There's an incredible amount of hate for these albums but I fucking love them. I think the problem that people have isn't that they DON'T like the music, or think they are bad songs... it's just that they weren't the albums that they wanted Metallica to release. It'd be like if Meshuggah dropped their new album and it sounded like Incubus "Science". Great music, but not what we want to hear come out of Meshuggah.

The House That Jack Built, Prince Charming, Attitude, Where the Wild Things Are... fucking GREAT stuff.

And the production on the Garage Inc songs is amazing too, especially the Mercyful Fate medly.

always had to defend both albums in school but even back then I loved the music - even though the style had changed.
then I got garage inc and it blew me away. it's they best cd of covers I've heard in my entire life.
since I've gotten into audio engineering I have learned to appreciate the three albums even more, I love their sound!

Load is an awesome hard rock album with an awesome rock/metallish production
Reload has some cool songs and an awesome production as well

It's not metal, and if someone is only into old shool thrash I can see why they have problems with it.
I don't have and never had. "Cure" is one of the most awesome songs on the albums

Not really that big of a fan of the Load drums (I don't like the snare a lot of the time). But Reload is great. However, I would have liked it more if it was just 1 album condensed to the best 10-12 songs or something.

Both albums are awesome, not only because of their sound but also because of the songs. The problem with most people is that they see them as albums released by the same Metallica that released thrash metal albums and they expect them to sound like 80s thrash metal. I find that extremely retarded. I'd take Load/Reload a thousand times over the last piece of shit they released (I even find St. Anger better than Death Magnetic, though its songs should've been shorter)

Listening back to Garage Inc Disc 1. Goddamn, why can't Metallica albums sound like that again...

I've always believed that Metallica were consciously, incrementally degrading their music for the express purpose of the prior records comparatively gaining more renown.

My firm belief is that their next record will consist solely of 'Design the Skyline' covers.

Load and Reload are fucking amazing albums, I dont understand how so many people dislike both of 'em.

Well as has been said, many people just don't really dig the songs all that much. Even the best songs off Load aren't anywhere near as good as the stuff on the first 3 albums. Not bad songs, just not terribly interesting or exciting.

I've always believed that Metallica were consciously, incrementally degrading their music for the express purpose of the prior records comparatively gaining more renown.

My firm belief is that their next record will consist solely of 'Design the Skyline' covers.

Well I can be sure to grab a copy of the next record then

an interesting note from the black album in that earlier link..

"I use a lot of mics...up to 8. I use them to phase cancel each other, to control the sound like with an EQ but instead of an EQ. I'm using Mesa Boogie amps, with an ADA MP1 preamp, but Boogie Simul-Class II is the main part of the sound. Cabs: Boogie for clean, cutting stuff, Marshalls with 30 watt Celestion Vintage 30s for warmth." Guitar Player, September 1991.

Everyone sure learned how to appreciate Load and ReLoad after they released St. anger. Before that they were their "this can't possibly be worst" albums. I used to call them Shit, Re-Shit and St. Garbage, but I've grown fond of them, they are pretty good. Not St. anger, that one's still garbage

I wonder if the 2 originals (No Leaf Clover + Minus Human) on the S&M album were more Load era writings or actually really 'new' at the time.
I think they were pretty good songs... arguably better than anything they've done since. It's a pity there's no definitive studio versions.. they sound ripe for huge epic production.
Those songs sound like a pretty natural evolution of the Black album Load/Reload band. That was pretty much the end of 'that' band though... which is a pity IMO.
In a way they were only just starting out as a heavy ROCK band.

Yep Kirk actually played rhythm on one side too.

James on the left, Kirk on the right. Very different tones and feel between them. James' tone is very dark and bass-heavy, and his playing is very tight. IMO, he's the real timekeeper of that band, always has been. Kirk's tone is much brighter and I think gainier, and bit of a looser vibe in the rhythm work. James has been upping the midrange and dropping the gain for years now. (Which I like; especially for a not-lead-guy he's got some real personality to his playing. Though when he does take a solo it's ace. Big tone and a really nice vibrato; generally just a nice melody line.)

The guitar tones and layering and the contrast between the individual players really make these records stand out in terms of production. I think, given my tastes, they'd actually lose something if done now, if only because the sound of obviously tuned vocals makes me want to hurt people. :D

Also, of note- the almost total lack of top end in the bass guitar. I suppose given the sheer mass of James' guitar and the kick, there's nowhere else for it to go but down below everything.

These are very cleverly made records with a lot of subtle things going on sonically. They're worth paying attention to, even if listeners coming from a largely metal background still might need to ignore the name on the cover. This is good '90s hard rock. It's not Superunknown or Dirt or Dogman or Aenima or... :eek: But it's good stuff, and I think, on the subject of authenticity, honest records. Guys making music that sounds influenced by the '70s stuff they grew up on.

about the james/kirk sides. i listened to album a lot and i don't see how with the exception of minor parts it is kirk. it sounds like the same player, same pick attack etc. just different parts but i can't explain it it still sounds like james.

it also depends which album we're talking about. i could see maybe load having more kirk. but load and garage inc sound MOST like james.

also about the topic of old and new metallica. i see three metallica versions.

the thrash metallica (awesome), the heavy metal metallica (awesome), the poo poo metallica (poo poo).

There's so much win on Load it isn't even funny... how those guys can go from the brutal thrash they used to play to balls out hard rock I don't know... but that album was amazing musically and production-wise. The bass tone kicks serious ass.