Local band recommendations

Winmar

Pillock of society
Apr 16, 2001
Canberra
Can anyone recommend some local bands to me? I've been out of the scene a bit in recent times, so don't find out about bands for myself as much as I used to.

Yeah Psycroptic are great! And Alarum are tremendous!

Thanks for the link - I haven't been there for a while.

heh...I think there is an Alarum gig tomorrow night at the Arthouse? I am going to try to make it!

Yep there is! I'll almost certainly be there. If you see a 26yo guy with long blonde hair, probably by himself unless he sees someone he knows, and probably wearing a leather jacket, feel free to say hi! :)

What kind of band are they? Do they have a website? If they have any mp3s up there listening to them will remind me who they are later one when they do make it down.

Yeah I should be at the VP gig, especially now the dickhead security guard at the HiFi Bar is less likely to recognise me.

More on the hard rock side than the "metal" side...

THE DEADTHINGS
I always plug these guys but fuck they are unreal. heavy sleaze/glam with horror themes. Somewhere between early Motley Crue, The Misfits, early Poison, Pretty Boy Floyd and Erotic Suicide and all the super-attitude driven Hollywood glam stuff, Alice Cooper (lyrically), Twisted Sister (huge "shout" choruses), and Wednesday 13/Murderdolls. One of the most entertaining live bands around, a recent show at the Prince of Wales was probably the best set I've seen a local band ever do. They come out firing and always make sure they give that something extra to stand out from all the other bands and make sure they steal the show, and deliver the whole package - great songs (all anthems that get stuck in your head), big sound, dripping with attitude, heavy on image & stage props, and high energy performance.

TEARGAS
Melodic hard rock somewhere between Winger, Dokken, Bon Jovi, Danger Danger, etc. Excellent lead guitarist, and mainly just alot of great songs like What If It's Me, Bridges Are Burned, I Wish, Crazy, Light A Candle etc.

THE SHINE
These guys have been doing it for ages but have fnie tuned their show and everything... Always super-entertaining with catchy anthems, synchronized stage moves, outrageous custumes, lots of crowd participation, and a HILARIOUS frontman who adds alot of comedy to the show as well. Their sound is somewhere between classic KISS, '70s glam (Sweet, Cheap Trick, etc), and some '80s glam/hard rock.

CHARING CROSS
On a bit of a hiatus at the moment looking for a new bassist, but a great hard rock/metal band in the vein of Appetite For Destruction era Guns N Roses but with more shred style soloing... very guitar driven hard rock. Good songs, great riffs, just an awesome '80s style heavy guitar hard rock/metal band. When they opened up the night at a Deadthings & Teargas show at The Espy last December everyone was shocked at how good they were.

Thanks, Trent. I've been meaning to check out those bands. :) I really should get off my arse and do so sometime soon.

Danallica said:
havent they taken off in recent times aye!

Yep.

They toured Europe with Dissection and have more offers to go back and tour somemore as well as getting a few good Euro record deals and the possibility of an American tour and record contract.

These boys are going places.:headbang:

I saw them a few weeks ago at Hellfire Adelaide, that drumming is amazing. I'm so disapointed I couldnt get CC tix!

Danallica said:
I saw them a few weeks ago at Hellfire Adelaide, that drumming is amazing. I'm so disapointed I couldnt get CC tix!

Dave is considered to be amongst the top drummers in the World and it's not hard to see why.

In terms of Australian drummers, he is right up there (in my opinion at least) with Skitzy from Damaged, Graham Goode (fomrerly of Infernal Method) and the bloke from Alarum and The Berserker.

Dave also drums for The Amenta and I think has done some other recording projects.

All in all, top drummer, top bloke.:headbang::worship:

Another band to recommend to people:

Sindablok from Canberra.

They've been around fora while but haven't played a show i almost 2 and a half years.

They've returned with a new line up and an incredible progression in their sound.
With their new drummer, Duncan (been in so many bands -singing, laying drums and so many other things- don't even have the space to list them here) and a 2nd guitarist, Kim, this is notthe Sindablok you may remember.
Same passion, same intensity but now with harmony and a greater drive.

If you get a chance to see them-do!
They are truly the New Wave of Australian Heavy Metal! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: