logic piano roll

sash poask

Mar 24, 2008
right so i switched from pc with reaper to a mac with logic, and im loving it

however i have one problem

at the moment all my drums are programed (now with slate :) ) but when i used to do it in reaper, in the piano roll there was an option to switch between the grid note length e.g. it would show 8th grid or 16th or 32nd or whatever

is there the same option in logic? i so far only figured that i can make the note smaller, but without the grid at the correct value im struggling.

i know of the hyper editor, but so far im not that keen

if anyone would enlighten me that would be great

I too moved from PC/Reaper to Mac/Logic a few months ago and am loving it. :)

anyway, i've never found this to be an issue so i dont know if it can be changed but i do know that if you draw a note and then shorten/lengthen it to whatever you want, the next note you draw will be at that size too. i think the default length of the note depends on how far you are zoomed in too. to be sure i'd just check the manual tbh.

i program most of my drums too and have never had a problem with the Logic piano roll.

i see what you mean with the Reaper Piano roll but to be honest i found that to be a much slower workflow than programming midi drums in Logic. if the note is too long, adjust it and all the next notes will be the right length.

it reminds me of when i was showing a guy around Logic and helping him out learning it. he had come from Ableton Live which has a similar "change the grid" approach to midi editing as Reaper has, and he too was looking to do this in Logic. i just showed him an example of programming a few breakbeat patterns and a bassline and some pads in Logic and demonstrated that it wasn't necessary to change the grid at all.

hope that helps :)

You have to change the " /16 " to whatever you want your piano roll to be

8317419B18154D68A559FA11A186AA18.jpg

If you look in the next image - you will see that I changed the value from " /16 " to " /32 "
(look under the Time Signature in the Transport Bar)

880C85E088324985BBD50452F2B8070C.jpg

See the difference?
Hope this helps you out.
Take care!

BTW - as for the Hyper Editor - I don't know if it will help you out or not, but there are a few videos on that very topic on YouTube.
If you can pardon the shameless plug, here is a goofy-piece of crap video that I made .... it might help ... or it might not

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPZYr2Unh-I&feature=channel_page&fmt=18]Hyper Editor[/ame]

(I feel so tacky posting that .... sorry for the lack of class)

hey man, yeh i know what you are saying about making the notes smaller or longer, but the problem is without the grid im struggling to put the note exactly where i hear it in my head, if that makes sense?

just checked a couple of songs i recorded in reaper and my drum programming seemed to me to be quite a bit more creative...might just have to adjust i guess

waterboy (sorry dont know your real name)

you are a legend, thats exactly what i needed :) thank you

and make sure you keep those logic videos coming :) im a fan:headbang:

I followed Waterboy's videos and use the Hyper Editor in Logic. WAYYY better than using just the piano roll in my opinion. So easy to control velocities and to pencil in hits.

-Joe

yeh actually waterboys video first showed me how to use hyper editor, and i use it for certain things like build ups and cymbal hits...and at later stages velocities of snare, but i just find it works better for me to do things 2 a grid because i can hear it in my head and quite easily put on a grid if that makes sense