circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Long Distance Calling – Satellite Bay
Viva Hate Records – VHR-45-009 – September 21, 2007
By Jason Jordan

longdistancecallingsb.jpg

Yeah, Long Distance Calling isn’t the greatest name, and Satellite Bay may not be an innovative twist on (mostly instrumental) post-rock, but this German quintet manage to captivate despite the “been there, done that” feel that leaks from their debut. Though solid in every sense of the word, if not more so, I can only recommend SB to fans who are hungry for more of this style, and regularly spin the output of bands like Pelican, Red Sparowes, Russian Circles, and others.

Nearly an hour in length, this seven-track album contains a lot of music – all of which is tasteful and beautifully rendered. The cymbal work on ‘Jungfernflug’ is especially striking, since many other post-rock units fail to capitalize in this respect, as is the tense buildup the song utilizes until it reaches the plateau at 4:30 before turning up the distortion full blast. And because the drumming is so agile, it may remind one of fellow post-rockers Irepress. Beginning in a casual, drifting manner akin to Isis or Tides, the Envy-ish ‘Fire in the Mountain’ eventually incorporates a voiceover for good measure, but, similar to those in ‘The Very Last Day,’ they backfire by intruding on the listening experience rather than enhancing it. The watery ‘Aurora’ starts in much the same way, but is decidedly more tentative than its brethren, until 4:10 that is, while ‘Horizon’ is speedier and often sounds like material from Russian Circles. The darkest, most pressing of the bunch could in fact be ‘The Very Last Day,’ and could have been quite a closer if it weren’t such an apocalyptic-themed downer. Long Distance Calling choose to end on a positive note with ‘Swallow the Water,’ however, which follows clean/distorted vocal-ridden number ‘Built Without Hands.’

At first I’d pegged Satellite Bay as a mere copycat, but the more I listened, the more I discovered nuances that separate the group from those in the same boat. Still, the differences are minimal, and Long Distance Calling should arguably include more vocals or jettison them completely. At any rate, this is a good, if familiar, post-rock record that the truly dedicated will enjoy. Don’t expect to be floored, though.

Official Long Distance Calling Website
Official Viva Hate Records Website

The nuances of originality must be have been too subtle for me to pick up on. This just sounded like a rehash of other bands to me.:Smug: