Long Distance Calling...

antwax

Senile Member
Apr 5, 2005
...check out their new album "Long Distance Calling" - it has John Bush singing on song "Middleville". :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

T:)

both the band and the album is called Long Distance Calling. They play wierd spacey instrumental rock but they got John Bush singing on one song called Middleville on their new album. But it don't come out until March.

...well - you know I write for Finnish prog rock mag Colossus...and got promo copy of the album...didn't understand/check that it is not released yet...

...anyway song is over 8 minutes long...a bit heavier than Long Distance Calling used to be...less Pink Floyd and more like let's say Alice In Chains...:)

T:)

I'm not particulary into this kind of music, Bush is good as always and the drummer is also pretty good.

this song is really beautiful and John's vocals are amazing, i like prog-metal a lot because of it's diversity. but how did they get John Bush to sing for them?

Yeah, I really like the song.
Had a listen to some of the other songs on their myspace page.
Good stuff!

Love instrumental rock. Been a fan of Gospeed you! Black Emperor for years and recently discovered the brilliant Year of no Light.

Last edited by a moderator:
they are my fav. Prog-Metal band, they played the only live-show of their entire career after more than 20 years of band-history, they have always been a studio-band, their singer Mike Baker died in 2008 after suffering a heart attack (r.i.p.)

Last edited by a moderator:
YEAR OF NO LIGHT is simply incredible! thanks for posting motorpsycho! this is a definitive goose bumps-song.

Yeah, I was just stunned the first time I listened to the album (Ausserwelt). I haven't heard their previous releases yet, in fact I don't know how many albums they've released so far, but will certainly check them out.

Haven't heard Shadow Gallery before. It sounds really good. Great voice, and really atmospheric!

edit: YONL have released two albums. The debut is called "Nord", and it's not entirely instrumental like "Ausserwelt". Sounds really good, though.

this song is really beautiful and John's vocals are amazing, i like prog-metal a lot because of it's diversity. but how did they get John Bush to sing for them?

It's just one track. They get a guest for one song on every album I guess. Must have known someone who knew him and had them pass along some info and ask if he'd be interested in writing some lyrics and vocal melodies and guesting on the track. Not that hard to do that - he didn't end up doing anything with Anthrax because he didn't want to tour and sing songs that he's not sure who wrote what...could potentially be a lawsuit disaster if Dan Nelson had input on something that John would have ended up singing. Guesting on this Long Distance Calling track means no commitments, he got to have fun and be creative, and doesn't have to tour or be in a band.

is Dream Theater also emo in your opinion? this is a thread about prog-metal/prog-rock.

And there is a lot of great prog to be found within the daftly named "post-metal/ post-rock" movement.

Such as Latitudes....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf1WPzuwWUA&feature=BF&list=PL79CC1C4EFC7EF77D&index=7[/ame]