Long speaker cable (15meters)...any advice?

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
I have to build a 15m. speaker cable because I'll track some guitars with the cab in another room.
I'll build it with a normal electrician cable. What do you think is a good size for the cable?
I found 2x1 (2 poles, 1mm each) or 2x1.5 ..... any advice about the right size?

The only system of measurement I know of for cable thickness is gauge, where the lower the gauge, the thicker the wire (you should have 14 ga. or thicker for long speaker cable runs) Can't say I know much about electrical cable (or how well it would work), maybe someone else can chime in - but why not just buy bulk speaker cable? It can't be that much more money...

Because a speaker cable is nothing more than a normal electrician cable. :)
Which is the unit of that 14 gauge? How many inches (so I can check the conversion)? :)

one thousand six hundred and twenty eight millimeters?!

(sorry, i did have useful advice to give about conversion, but someone beat me to it, and i'm feeling stupid :p)

Nah, in Europe they switch decimal points and commas (so 1.628 is one thousand six hundred twenty eight), definitely throws me for a loop and doesn't really make much sense IMO! (cuz a point is much more definitive a separation, which I think is more important when dividing integers from decimals, rather than dividing up huge numbers)

Well I know they do in Germany at least! :D (at least, I'm pretty certain they do, and I thought in most of Europe it was that way)

Easiest way to determine which one is used in your country is to press the button in the numpad next to zero. The actual keyboard reads "." (eventho it is a scandinavian keyboard), but when I press it, I get ","

This means that atleast in Finland one million euros is marked 1 000 000,00€

Easiest way to determine which one is used in your country is to press the button in the numpad next to zero. The actual keyboard reads "." (eventho it is a scandinavian keyboard), but when I press it, I get ","

This means that atleast in Finland one million euros is marked 1 000 000,00€

1.000.000,00:loco:

1.000.000,00:loco:

That's the international banking standard, common to all countries. But for regular things, like measures, there are different ways around the world. In Finland, a space is a thousand separator and a comma is the decimal point, like ahjteam had.

And I think it's a good way to make large numbers clearer, such as telephone numbers. Which one do you think reads faster and easier:

+358901928375

+358 901 928 375

Or better yet, a postal package code:

JJFI99182401280128491820
vs.
JJFI 99 182 401 280 128 491 820

;) (the numbers are just some random numbers)

I still think it's silly to have a point dividing up numbers by the thousands and a comma separating integers from decimals, since a point is so much more decisive a stop which I think is more important in defining decimals! Not like it matters of course, cuz once you know it's easy, I just hate being confused :D