Long speaker cable

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
I need a very long speaker cable because I'll put the cab in a new room for the next recordings.
I'll build it with an electrician cable but I'm thinkin' about the right section of the cable (expecially the 2 cables inside the sheat) to cover that distance.
Which kind of long cables do you use in your studios?

I run 50' regular speaker cables. Works fine. The power swing with that kind of voltage is pretty big, so long runs won't really degrade the signal. At least not audibly. Just run speaker cable...

I literally use a big orange extension cord with 1/4" ends soldered on it. Rated for waaaaay more wattage than an amp can put out, and hasn't given me any issues in the 4-5 years I've had it.

Ok I built my cable and I did a reamp test to see if there are differences.
The reamp with the short cable is a little little better...I can notice that there are higher peaks on this one and it seems there is a little more sizzle.... but the sound is basically the same.
I tried to invert the phase and in fact there is a little sibilance, nearly un-noticeable, as a result...so they didn't cancel themselves completely but they are close.

i use a 50' Pro Co 12-Gauge 2-Conductor Bulk Speaker Cable with some nice chunky ends. its held up good, cause i like to move the cab in a few different rooms to see what sounds best.