Looking for aggressive Melodeath

Bovus

New Metal Member
Sep 29, 2013
Hi Guys,

I started listening to metal pretty recently, and I'm at the point where I know what I like but I'm not really familiar with many different groups. I find I love listening to fast, aggressive melodic death/folk metal when I go running, but I've been having trouble finding any really good stuff. Here are my favorite songs so far:

Ensiferum
  • The New Dawn
  • Slayer of Light
  • Blood is the Price of Glory
  • Sword Chant
  • Retribution Shall Be Mine

Eluveitie
  • Primordial Breath
  • Bloodstained Ground
  • Tarvos
  • Grey Sublime Archon

If anyone could recommend artists or albums similar to what I listed above, I would really appreciate it. I listened to some Korpiklaani and Children of Bodom, and both were good but not really what I'm looking for in terms of expanding my running playlist. Thanks!

Melodic death:

Amon Amarth
Eternal Tears of Sorrow - A Virgin and a Whore
Insomnium - In the Halls of Awaiting
Kalmah - Swamplord, They Will Return, Swampsong, The Black Waltz
Skyfire - Timeless Departure, Mind Revolution
Wintersun

Folky stuff (mostly black/folk):

Catamenia - Chaosborn
Equilibrium - Sagas
Falkenbach - En Their Medh Riki Fara, Magni Blandinn Ok Megintiri
Månegarm - Vredens Tid
Windir - 1184, Likferd

And here are some albums which sound nothing like Ensiferum or Eluveitie but you might enjoy them since they have lots of melody and are easy to get into (imo):

Arsis (melodic/tech death) - A Celebration of Guilt
Dissection (melodic black) - Storm of the Light's Bane
Ebony Tears (melodic death) - A Handful of Nothing
Edge of Sanity (progressive death) - The Spectral Sorrows, Purgatory Afterglow, Crimson
In Flames (melodic death) - Lunar Strain, Subterranean, The Jester Race
Mael Mórdha (folk/doom) - Cluain Tarbh
Taake (melodic black)
Vintersorg (black/folk) - Till Fjälls

Dark Tranquillity is my favorite melodeath of all time. They have a pretty aggressive sound, especially their albums Fiction and We Are The Void. Insomnium is also good melodeath, though their sound is pretty smooth and mellow--I use them to fall asleep to. Early Trivium might be exactly what you're looking for. Their first two albums are basically solid, aggressive melodeath with a more rock layout and clean-singing choruses. I like it, though not everyone does.