Eluveitie's Slania, a Modern Folk-Metal Masterpiece!

PurpleCrayonWriter

Just a Kid at Heart
While I wait for my CD to arrive from Germany, I downloaded a copy of Slania, the new release from Swiss Folk-Metal octet Eluveitie. ( I don't know about you, but I think it's totally kick-ass to see Sevan Kirder heavy metallin' on the bagpipes.

The album clocks in at around 45 minutes in length and contains four (two metal, two acoustic) Celtic-themed instrumental tracks, interspersed between truly compelling songs that feature what's become Eluveitie's trademark sound: traditional Celtic instruments (bagpipes, hurdy-gurdy, violin, flute) mixed with death-metal vocals, and a guitar/bass/drum onslaught that's intense in a Dark Tranquillity sort of way. Here's the track listing:

1. Samon (instrumental)
2. Primordial Breath
3. Inis Mona
4. Grey Sublime Archon
5. Anagantios (instrumental)
6. Bloodstained Ground
7. The Somber Lay
8. Slanias Song
9. Giamonios (instrumental)
10. Tarvos
11. Calling The Rain
12. Elembivos (instrumental)

Sure, other Folk-Metal bands play heavier, faster, louder. But none play it walking -- without falling -- the precarious tightrope between ancient-Celtic traditions and modern-metal intensities. Eluveitie will be the band to watch on the upcoming Pagan Fest USA 2008 tour.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't like this album. Spirit had it's metalcore-ish moments that were tolerable, but the new one is just unbearable to me. I couldn't make it through a whole song, just kept skipping to the next one hoping it would be better. Very, very disappointing.

BTW-
I presented this band to the acrimonious heathens of the Royal Carnage forum.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/rc/371269-folk-metal-done-wrong.html

:lol:

That's a great link!

I love reading the comments about how bad people think Eluveitie is.

I own close to 3,000 CDs. My tastes range far and wide, and have for over 30 years. I'm always on the lookout for good music, and I try to avoid the bad. Maybe my ears aren't as keen as they used to be.

Help me out. Can those who think Eluveitie is crap provide a lucid reason why? I'm not being critical of your opinion. I'd like to understand it.

1. Is the musicianship poor?
2. Are the lyrics badly written?
3. Do you prefer less traditional instruments (hurdy-gurdy, flute, violin, etc.) and more metal guitars?
4. What about the lead singer do you dislike?
5. In other words, is there anything objective to indicate Eluveitie is crap? Or are your opinions based on personal tastes and preferences?

Thanks for your input!

Cheers,

Bill

Maybe they realized the vocals are the weakest part of the band and decided to drown it out in some parts :p

I don't have any complaints about it otherwise. Good album that will get quite a few listens from me, but it definitely fails in comparison to Spirit.

I honestly don't like the metal factor of the new album. It's generic, metalcore/melodic death sounding stuff, and I just can't get into that. Some of these songs sound like new In Flames mixed with folk instruments, and that is a bad thing. It seems like they're trying to garner some mainstream appeal, with all the trendy metalcore scene kids.

Which is why it's such a god damn shame. The folk aspects of this band are the best in the genre. Far better than anything Vratyas Vakyas or Lars Jensen could compose with a flute or fiddle, but the vocals and guitar work are just complete and utter shit.

Spirit was a masterpeice, Slania is a disappointment. Fuck Paganfest, I barely feel like going now.

Which is why it's such a god damn shame. The folk aspects of this band are the best in the genre. Far better than anything Vratyas Vakyas or Lars Jensen could compose with a flute or fiddle, but the vocals and guitar work are just complete and utter shit.

Spirit was a masterpeice, Slania is a disappointment. Fuck Paganfest, I barely feel like going now.

There's still Týr to look forward to, unless you aren't a fan. Týr is my main reason for attending Paganfest anyway.