Looking for beauty

I wondered about that. I figured you wouldn't like it -- it has a lot of elements you don't care for, like long songs for one thing.

I couldn't predict whether you would like it or not. ;)
Although I'm starting to appreciate some bands with progressive elements in their music, I can't deny that my favourite records so far in 2008 have nothing at all to do with that kind of sound, in metal or in other genres. I don't actively dislike Alcest - there's nothing wrong with it - but I'll be damned if I don't think Anaal Nathrakh's Hell is empty and all the devils are here is far more entertaining.

- but I'll be damned if I don't think Anaal Nathrakh's Hell is empty and all the devils are here is far more entertaining.

Holy crap. I never expected you to be a Nath fan. I own most of their full-lengths and find that while I think they are excellent, not too many people appreciate them. :p Have you ever had a chance to see them live? I've never seen them go over to the States but I know they did stuff in Europe. If so, I'd be very jealous.

Holy crap. I never expected you to be a Nath fan. I own most of their full-lengths and find that while I think they are excellent, not too many people appreciate them. :p Have you ever had a chance to see them live? I've never seen them go over to the States but I know they did stuff in Europe. If so, I'd be very jealous.

Holy crap.

Did you know Anaal was a studio project and had only several live appearances? And, you lazy fucking bumfucker, according to Wikipedia "they have stated they are not to become an ordinary touring band" (I'm too lazy myself to look for anything official).

Holy clap.

Never seen them live or checked their Wikipedia page (sorry, plintus). But I love their stuff although I don't usually listen to black metal. In my opinion it just goes to show there's bound to be some lesser-know band each of us may find absolutelly irresistible even in a genre we're not supposed to be into. One of the reasons why I keep listening to records I know there's only a remote chance I might find interesting.

In my opinion it just goes to show there's bound to be some lesser-know band each of us may find absolutelly irresistible even in a genre we're not supposed to be into.
So far away we wait for the day, For the light source so wasted and gone, We feel the pain of a lifetime lost in a thousand days, Through the fire and the flames we carry on
juul_bauer.gif

Err. What i mean is that rahvin is the undisputed master of good taste in music. So i feel compelled to check out Dredg. By the way, i checked out Alcest on myspace and i found it uninspiring and boring, at least the half song i had the patience to listen to.

@suwat: Errr, can i get drunk? I can get drunk. :p

Dredg are approved indeed.

edit: i gave Alcest a second chance. i guess you have to be in the right mood for it, it's beautiful but in a soft way. still, it leans more towards background music for me...

Did you know Anaal was a studio project and had only several live appearances? And, you lazy fucking bumfucker, according to Wikipedia "they have stated they are not to become an ordinary touring band" (I'm too lazy myself to look for anything official).

Did you know that they've played several festivals in Europe and that seeing as I've purchased multiple albums from them and having read their entry on the Metal Archives as well, I have known several times over the same information you presented? Not to mention that you can't make the assumption that Ravhin does not travel. But thanks for doing the legwork anyway, its good to know I have someone who will do my work for me. ;)

@Rahvin: Still very cool. Though I do like black metal. :p

@Suwat/Siren: I've been sober every time I've listened to Alcest, but I still think Le Secret is the better album. Those two songs are pretty awesome and articulate. I'll assume you have them or would get them if you wanted them, but in the rare occurance you two can't get your hands on the EP but want it, let me know.

Antimatter, especially Lights Out and Leaving Eden, the latter probably most accessible and fits the description best.

For sth way off the metal path, Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock, Mogwai's Happy Songs for happy people or Come On Die Young, Low's Things We Lost In The Fire, people were recommending GYBE- I'd go with the sister band Thee Silver Mt Zion for sheer beauty, ex- Anathema ex-Antimatter Duncan Patterson's Íon record Madre Prtégenos is really sth as well, but not at all what you'd expect, then of course there's the old classics Nick Drake, Jeff Buckley, Joy Division or even Springsteens Nebraska album.