Ambient mood music..

outerone

Alchemy of the Sorcerer
Feb 9, 2006
San Francisco
Hey Im looking for more ambient melodic music in the vein of recent Ulver.

I really enjoy all the recent Ulver releases (dont worry I also love the black metal stuff they did), I especially like the Svidd Neger soundtrack and want to find more music like that. I think in the same vein would be Sigur Ros, Silent Hill soundtracks and I recently discovered the soundtrack music composer Vig Mihaly that composes music for Bela Tarr movies. The soundtrack to the new movie Sunshine is also great mix of haunting melodies and down down tempo electronics.

So anything new is appreciated; electronic, classical, soundtrack, experomental.... I just need more mood music for the late nights I spend working on my art.

Thanks!

Shoot, I was going to say Coil.

Coil is my favorite electronic group. Definitely similar to Ulver in some points of their career, and Ulver was also influenced by them iirc.

edit: For releases, trying Musick to play in the Dark vol.1 and 2

Im kinda trying to look for more classical based music, more in the vein of the Svidd Neger soundtrack and less electronic beat based, not that that is bad but just need some really beautiful melodies with a modern touch.

Check out The Cinematic Orchestra. It's not entirely ambient but I think you will really like it.

An album to check out: Everyday.

I listened to some of the samples there, more folky than what I was seeking but I like it. Which band and release would you recomend?
Desiderii Marginis - That Which is Tragic and Timeless (I highly recommend Seven Sorrows too)
Raison d'Être - The Empty Hollow Unfolds
ROME - Nera
All my Faith Lost - The Hours (will be release on August 23rd)
Sephiroth - Draconian Poetry (the only one I heard by them)
...in that order.

That will give you a quick overview of what CMI is about. Keep in mind though, the label has MUCH more to offer, so keep checking out the samples from their website.

not being sure, ill assume it is by the beatles as well. (correct me if im mistaken) i didnt know about sun king..

Can you guys please suggest more bands like Escape The Day? I just cant let go of the melancholia!

Those songs by the Beatles are good but I wouldnt really consider them ambient/electronic/classical mood music....

sure they are ambient and experimental in the realm of the Beatles.

not being sure, ill assume it is by the beatles as well. (correct me if im mistaken) i didnt know about sun king..

it's on the same album :p

Those songs by the Beatles are good but I wouldnt really consider them ambient/electronic/classical mood music....

well, Sigur Ros, who you mentioned in your original post, is kinda pushing it too, so songs in vein of Because/Sun King would have seemed to fit

^ill expose my ignorance and say that ive never actually listened to the whole abbey road album, so.. i bag your pardon ;)