Folk Styled Metal, Without Metal.

Draehl

Lurker
May 31, 2004
Atlanta 'burbs
So I'm looking for some pure folk style music without the metal instrumentation, but WITH the serious/heavy/dark/occult feel of metal. IE folk made by metal artists or that which closely matches the style.

Some examples:

Wardruna
Karl Sander's solo material.
A lot of the intro/interlude bits from Ulver, Saor, Negura Bunget, Dordeduh, Drudkh, Wodenthrone, Fyrnask, etc.
Hexentanz (maybe a little more ambient than I'm looking for, but still in the same vein)
Diablo 1/2/3 Soundtrack stuff even fits to a point.

Try avoiding the more fru-fru bits of much of the Finnish & Celtic stuff. Post them if particularly relevant, but keep that in mind.

It is appreciated!

A lot of metal folks that I used to talk to love Tenhi. They're pretty awesome. One of the songs on Folk Aesthetic sounds like a black metal track in folk form too. I would recommend any of their music.

Working on impressing the woman I forsaw you being with, eh?

This is somewhat folksy. Happen to be going through old playlists today. Also pretty much everything mentioned is the shit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Working on impressing the woman I forsaw you being with, eh?

This is somewhat folksy. Happen to be going through old playlists today. Also pretty much everything mentioned is the shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA_IWmvDZko

Yes =P

Though I've always liked the folkier side of black metal more than just about anything. It's the shit like Eluveitie & Turisas I can't tolerate. (To be fair Rasputin is a solid cover though)

I was about to mention Nest and then I realized they released a lengthy new album this year. Thanks for killing the next hour and a half of my life, man.

Try avoiding the more fru-fru bits of much of the Finnish & Celtic stuff. Post them if particularly relevant, but keep that in mind.

I think you're talking about Polka-influenced metal here? Not fru-fru, but definitely derived from party music.

Last edited by a moderator: