Trying To Break Into Black Metal, But...

Listen to

Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane, Somberlain
Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk, Nightside in the Eclipse
Immortal - At the Heart of Winter, SOND, Damne din Black
Satyricon - Nemesis Divina
Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant
Borknagar - Empercism, Quintessence, Epic
Rotting Christ - Triarchy of the Lost Lovers, Genesis, Theogonia, Non Servium

In Opinion the best Black Metal albums around. People might disagree but I hate the really old school black metal like Mayhem, Burzum, Marduk, Darkthrone. Although I own a Darkthrone album and hate it...Blaze in the Northern Sky. I try to like Darkthrone...but Nothing draws me in..It's just noise to me. And I sound like a dick oh well.

How can I forget Naglfar!

Listen to the Any Naglfar album..The later ones are really catchy and fun....but Angry as fuck....If you want a band that will make you head bang like crazy but also embrace the melodys...Nalgfar is the best band for that...Similar to Dissection.

That Blut aus Nord song is sick..I never gave them a chance..even though they are EVERYWHERE now.

Just gave Burzum's "Hvis Lyset Tas Oss" a listen. I found Det Som En Gang Var to be quite excellent (what a fucking evil riff...) but the other 3 songs were rather unremarkable.

Give it time to grow on you. The whole album slays.

People might disagree but I hate the really old school black metal like Mayhem, Burzum, Marduk, Darkthrone.

I realize that some people may very well have attempted these bands and honestly find nothing rewarding about them, but I feel that lots of people just write them off because they see so many others claiming that they "find nothing interesting about old school black metal." It's really unfortunate, because there is some amazing material to be found here if one has the patience to listen. For people who love the folk subgenre of black metal, Burzum is essential if not a downright joy to listen to. I just hope that all people don't ignore these bands because they don't think they would enjoy it.

I bet that others do it, because I used to.

To my ears, Burzum, Mayhem, Marduk, and Darkthrone don't all sound alike and so grouping them together based on their chronology is fallacious.

Nothing I've heard from Marduk has appealed to me, but I haven't heard too much. I have a pretty strong dislike for bm that's just constant raw blastbeats.

Two Hunters: Overall I wouldn't say it's particularly amazing, but the last track knocks my socks off. I Will Lay Down My Bones Among the Rocks and Roots.

Same, all 4 of those bands are different, Marduk is a bit to bland for me, Mayhem too redundent, I dislike the other 2 much more though. lol

I've actually been wondering what's special about Darkthrone. Soulside Journey is very good if somewhat overfellated (on this forum) death metal, but Transylvanian Hunger struck me as okay but really unspecial.

Nachtfalke - Doomed to Die is excellent & very accessible. It's a good place to start ... then move to Drudkh - Autumn Aurora. Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas took me a while to get into, but its definitely the most rewarding after a while. Great album.

Lately I've been trying to get into Black Metal as I very much like the aesthetics of it all and of course it's yet another genre to expand my listening to.

Currently I'm enjoying what I would assume is on the fringes of the genre in a sort of Black + Ambient/Folk mix. Agalloch, Ulver, Negura Bunget, and a couple others. And then of course there's the more mainstream sounding Melodic Black metal In Dimmu Borgir & Illnath. I realize some of these may be "Black Metal-lite" for those BM fanatics among you, but please bear with me.

It would seem in comparing these bands with some of the more highly praised BM acts that the defining difference I'm taking notice of is the overall production style. It seems to have a very gritty, treble-y, almost low-bitrate quality to it, namely in the guitar distortion. Is this a more fundamental aspect of the genre, or am I simply running into a lot of bands with these production values? To be quite honest much of what I've heard *literally* gives me a headache, yet some of the heaviest Death Metal bands don't even phase me even after hours of listening.

So is this lo-fi production style a fundamental tenet of the genre that I'll simply have to get over (much like how Opeth helped me get over death growls several years ago) or am I simply looking into the wrong acts? Might you suggest a bridge between the "Agallochs" I currently enjoy towards to the "Darkthrones" of the core of the genre?

Much appreciated.

If you want to get into black metal, devote your entire lifetime to it like V5. 25,000 posts in 5 years, you can't get more kvlt than that.