Looking into black metal...

Zack

charting my way to top :)
Feb 9, 2005
I just downloaded the song Life Demise by Unanimated just to get a taste and I really liked it. I plan to pick up this album next time I get a chance, and I wanted some other good black metal (I think thats the genre for them) bands.
First,
What are some of the bands and what are some of their better albums
Second,
Where is a good place to buy some of this stuff?

This has probably been asked 10,000 times, but as you know there is no search...
Thanks

Hmmm I've never heard Unanimated before but according to Metal Archives they're death metal- though some of their members did play in black metal bands in the past. So perhaps you should search for some good death metal?

Ummm but if you want good black metal try these albums...
Burzum- Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Emperor- Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
Blut Aus Nord- The Work Which Transforms God
Drudkh- Autumn Aurora
Mutiilation- Remains of a Lost Cursed and Dead Soul
Dissection- Storm of the Lights Bane

Haha I thought Blut Aus Lord was But Anus lord at first...
Thanks

Then turn sigs off like everyone who isn't shit.

Unanimated are quite weak, I went off them a while back.

Edit: Or at least, that applies to Ancient God of Evil.

My favourite recordings currently:
Aeternus - ...And So the Night Became
Aeternus - Beyond the Wandering Moon
Aeternus - Dark Sorcery
Antaeus - Cut Your Flesh and Worship Satan
Astrofaes - Ancestor's Shadows
Averse Sefira – Homecoming’s March
Bathory - Hammerheart
Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon
Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God
Burzum - Filosofem
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Darkspace - Dark Space
Darkthrone - Under A Funeral Moon
Deathspell Omega - Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice
Demoncy - Joined in Darkness
Fullmoon - United Aryan Evil
Graveland - Thousand Swords
Immortal - Pure Holocaust
Nokturnal Mortum - Goat Horns
Nortt - Gudsforladt
Sacramentum - Far Away From The Sun
Sort Vokter - Folkloric Necro Metal
Summoning - Dol Guldur
Summoning - Nightshade Forests
Wolfnacht - Heidentum

Well Folkloric Necro Metal literally sounds like nothing unless you get a good rip of it. I know it was meant to sound like that but I found it to be a boring release...seminal yes...quality in my opinion? No.

Weakling is megasweet check it out yo:

http://www.tumult.net/sounds.html

In the Woods's first album Heart of the Ages is also one of the better and consistently overlooked releases from Norse scene, easily as good as the classic releases from Burzum, Emperor, Immortal, et al.

Thanatopsis123 said:
Any place to hear some samples of these?
You may as well just try to find a decent quality rip of that Sort Volker album on soulseek/DC/usenet/whatever since it's way out of print and you aren't going to find an actual copy for less than $40 anyway in all liklihood.

Gallantry over Docility said:
Definitely not the best tracks (there are two brilliant tracks on the Wolfnacht whilst the rest are just good, this belongs in the latter category), but tasters:
http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1RD0XT460V9IA0PULJLT43HMI1 - Track 9 from FLN
http://s20.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=33YUWRDOVUNFA0TXFZR81YEXQW - Track 5 from Heidentum

Sort Vokter in particular needs to be heard as whole, though, and I'd say the same to varying degrees about all BM albums.
Hmmm...that Wolfnacht track was surprisingly good. I could have sworn remembering Wolfnacht to sound like a shitty Absurd ripoff. This comes across as a cross between Thousand Swords and United Aryan Evil. I'll definitely have to look into picking up this album.

One of my current favorites that's fairly easy to get into is Blut aus Nord's "Memoria Vetusta I: Fathers of the Icy Age". It's quite different from their later efforts, with more focus on black metal and not to much focus ambience and density (which basically means that they haven't shoved in minutes of pure silence on this album). It's also less bizarre and creepy, but more epic and majestic. Some great leads and solid riffs to be found here.