Black Metal bands that play great live.

Kara-Shehr

Sep 2, 2010
Black Metal bands playing live I feel is something that doesn't get talked about much. There are actually some really good live bands in the genre for example Emperor is pretty tight live and Marduk used to be pretty fucking insane when Legion was in the band.

Im watching a Dark Funeral Dvd right now with some live stuff on it and they actually aren't that bad imo. Ive seen better stuff of them but its ok. Thats what kinda sparked this thought but anyways...

My question is does anyone even care about how bands in the genre play live? Or is BM something you'd rather just hear on an album? Are there any bands that you think you'd really wanna go see if they ever came to your town? Or maybe just suggest some dvd's or live records?

Thoughts?

Dark Funeral's first EP is one of the few decent black metal cds after the 80's.

I started out listening to early 90's swedish black metal so my perspective on BM is a lot different then most.

Dark Funeral actually isnt that bad. Their first album is good. And plenty of their other stuff is decent... They've just been labelled "norsecore," are mildly popular, and therefore untroo.

Dark Funeral actually isnt that bad. Their first album is good. And plenty of their other stuff is decent... They've just been labelled "norsecore," are mildly popular, and therefore untroo.

Nah dude. They just play boring black metal. There are bands that do/did a much better job of what they attempt. And yeah it's norsecore.

I'd get so much shit if I tried to call anything "true". I listen to Woods of Ypres, Glorior Belli, Wolves in the Throne Room, and loads of other poserish stuff.

Anyway, back on topic. Secrets of the Moon, Teratism, and Portal all did a really good take on the whole "live ritual" approach. Watain is fun to see because they smell like rotting flesh and are very active on stage. It seems like Krallice tries to give off this sort of passive vibe when they play, it's kinda hard to describe.

There is never any excuse to listen to Dark Funeral.

I dig em. Especially the second and third cds. very good shit imo.
i can see the reasons people shit on them and generally i can agree with these reasons, but i don't come to the band expecting something truly deep and sophisticated... i want some simple, evil sounding shit and they deliver. fun band.

Not entirely black metal, but Bone Awl was amazing live, the sound, energy, aggression and so on was just perfect. All of the Black Twilight Circle bands I've seen also came off really well (Volahn, Arizmenda, Ashdautas, Axeman, Blue Hummingbird etc).

Black Witchery look like theyd be good live from a few vids Ive seen. Not a bm band, but I really want to see Portal live. Bad.

Satyricon was great live, but the 2 times I saw them they didn't play anything before the volcano album. Me and this kid were screaming at them to play mother north, dark medieval times and vikingland..it was at a cof show (which was lame) so no one really cared about satyricon but I thought they were awesome despite not playing anything old...same thing when I saw them when they headlined.
Immortal played a few older songs. They were really really awesome live. Black anvil opened, and I really hate them.
I'm seeing enslaved soon, and then watain in december. Missed 1349 unfortunately.