Views On British Metal Bands

aenimic said:
im just wondering really from those who live in britan or from outside what main views on british bands are. Some people ive spoken to from foreign countries belive british metal is a failure yet that is untrue. bands such as hundred Reasons, cradle of filth, inme, one minute silence, akercocke, muse, raging speedhorn are quite well known english bands who are successfull. please give me feedback on this

HUNDRED REASONS: Not good. Fortunately, not metal either.

CRADLE OF FILTH: They're corporate whores and I love it. No, they're not Black Metal, but they are Metal, and I happen to think they're a great band.

INME: Talentless retro-retro-grunge. Someone mixed Silverchair and Creed in a big vat on a low heat for several hours, scraped the scum off the surface and gave it a record deal.

ONE MINUTE SILENCE: A great shame they aren't silent the rest of the time as well. Cack.

AKERCOCKE: Now you're talking. Goat Of Mendes has stayed at the top of my CD pile ever since I bought it, and not just because of the pendulous breasts on the cover.

MUSE: Nice music, shame about the vocals. If that guy's a trained singer, his teacher deserves to be killed. "Blah blah - UHHK! - Blah blah - UHHK!"

RAGING SPEEDHORN - All right, I suppose.

i was only scratching the surface there, only a few bands that i thought of in 10s. I dislike hundred reasons 2, just lotsa people seem to like it here uhh!, inme were good to start off with but got boring. raging speedhorn is pretty good stuff and so is cradle of filth. And i like one minute silence, went to see them live not long ago and it rocked.

heres some British bands for people who are interested

Electric Wizard-a heavy stoner doom outfit from Birmingham

Paradise Lost-earley stuff was gothic doom death nowadays a mix between sisters of Mercy and Katatonia

My Dying Bride-gothic doom death

Anathema-were doom death but now kind of like Katatonia

Gorerotted-excellent gore death band

Napalm Death-the band who brought grind to the masses

Carcass-tarted off as grind but by the mid 90's became melodic death/thrash

Extreme Noise Terror-very fast grind outfit

Bolt Thrower-generic overrated death

Hecate Enthroned- gothic black metal. their upon promthean shores ablum is vital but don't buy unsilent requiems as it is honestly the worst black metal album ive heard

Ackercoke-satanic black metal

Anaal Nathrakh-extremely hard black metal

Mistress-Anaal Nathrakh side project stoner/sludge/grind

Frost-yet another Anaal Nathrakh side project this time in the style of Norwegian black metal in the early 90's

Axis of Perdition-challening balck metal

Void-industrial black metal

Unsantcum- a teenage group who sound like Mayhem meets Deicide . well worth buying

Desolation-progressive black metla with an Opethy type feel

Phallicide-melodic death

Cruel Humanity-industrila blakc metal

Tangaroa-girnd/death.black/noise genius

Iron Monkey-sludge/doom

Fudge Tunnel-similar to Iron Monkey but more acessible

Thine-simliar to Katatonia,Anathema also worth buying

kollex said:
heres some British bands for people who are interested

Electric Wizard-a heavy stoner doom outfit from Birmingham

Very good doom band, albeit not from Birmingham....

Ignore the debut, which is pretty much stoner metal by numbers, but pick up "Come my Fanatics", "Supercovern", "Let us Prey" and the monumental "Dopethrone". Slow, crushing tripped out doom that just sort of washes over you. If you like that sort of stuff, "Voice of God" by Sloth is well worth checking out too - every bit as heavy as Wizard, but with some groove thrown in. As one reviewer said, it swings like a hippo's arse!

I'd add Orange Goblin to that list, as their more recent stuff has taken a metal direction. Oh, and a mention for Dukes of Nothing, who make one hell of a Motorhead inspired racket. And Stampin Ground, although they are more rooted in hardcore.

Ok, I personally prefer the more underground bands such as Gorerotted, Desecration, Skaldic Curse, The Enchanted, etc.

I think Britain has a lot of extreme metal talent and there is no way that British metal is shit! I think the problem is that people are not motivated to go and see the less known bands and therefore the opinion often is that the good metal in the UK has died.

I have seen quite a few of you people mentioning bands like Desecration, Detrimentum and Phallicide. I think you might like the gig which is taking place on 26th July in The Underworld in Camden, doors 6pm, tickets GBP 6 in adv and GBP 7 at the door. Line up (in order of appearance):

Archaicus + Brainchoke + Phallicide + Detrimentum + Desecration

Hope to see you there.

I like my dying bride, but not a fan of the other stuff, but i havent heard some of it. I thought brittian had more of that hardcore shit?