best live bands

5thSeason

agent of brutality
Feb 8, 2004
Beyond The Unknown
www.dmccaulley.com
who are some of the best bands you have seen live (or on a dvd or whatever)? By "best bands" I mean they sound just as good if not better than on the albums, and put on a great show... not just some band who you really like putting on a half assed show.

Blind Guardian - never seen them in person, but their live dvd is fucking amazing. I have never seen a crowd get that into a show, and you hardly ever see the entire crowd sing along to songs.

Testament (original lineup) - saw them a few months ago in allentown, pa. words cant even begin to describe how amazing they still are when they play.

Well. Some of the best shows I've ever seen:

OVERKILL, Wacken '05
Fucking amazing how a band that's existed since like 1979 or something can have this much energy and conviction still. The new drummer fucking drummed like hell, they had such an awesome setlist and everything just seemed so... real?

TESTAMENT, Wacken '03
Now this wasn't the original lineup, but they were amazing... Like the above, so much energy and honesty...

DESTRUCTION, Wacken '04
Just fucking destroy Kreator et al live.

SKEPTICISM, Finland '04
PRIMORDIAL, Wacken '05

DEATH ANGEL is fucking awesome live too...

Behemoth

Whatever you might think about their studio stuff, it translates well to a super-loud live setting, and they have a massive amount of power and charisma live. Until Havoc left they used to have possibly the fastest windmiller on the face of the planet, which was great to watch. The whole band know how to play a crowd. Inferno is one of the best drummers in the business, always has a superb drum sound (thanks, triggers), plays some songs even faster live, and I even caught him windmilling his head while drumming during the last song of their set. I like to see that kind of energy from a band.

My favs are...
Black Sabbath
Metallica
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Lamb of God (they always go all out in Philly)
Megadeth (new lineup is great)
Yes (non metal but wow, what a show!)
Dave Matthews Band (they have incredible talent and are very entertaining live)

Ben_t said:
I think Unexpect is absolutely brilliant live. Well on cd too...
Unexpect and Augury are both kick ass bands to see live.
The worst I've seen is Dead Jesus. The singer cut himself on the forehead just before the show, he then proceeded to tear a bible and burn some pages until he finally decided to cut is arms with the razor blade. The crowd was little and there was no one in front of the stage, it was hilarious to see his face when he saw people get farther from the stage !

andrew_plamondon said:
The worst I've seen is Dead Jesus. The singer cut himself on the forehead just before the show, he then proceeded to tear a bible and burn some pages until he finally decided to cut is arms with the razor blade. The crowd was little and there was no one in front of the stage, it was hilarious to see his face when he saw people get farther from the stage !
I want to see Unexpect but they live a nice bit away (I live on the labrador coast of Quebec)

Dead Jesus are horribly bad :D they came to St Johns last year or so and they guy started pouring pig guts on himself and slit his wrist with the bible and through pages around ..my cousin stole his 10 commandments... and my uncles friend got pissed off and took his bible and hit him in the head... good times :Spin:

genocide roach said:
cephalic carnage. its amazing how much they move with all the crazy shit they play
~gR~

They ARE pretty intense live. Same with Origin (whom I saw CC with) even though they don't really move around as much, it's still a lot of fun to watch their bassist play.

andrew_plamondon said:

Damn I've seen Dead Jesus too...I can certify that they are pure garbage. They did the first part for Deeds of flesh when I saw them. The singer was punching himself on the head till he was bleeding. Then he started eating the bible. And he finally stopped and fell on the ground then he was convulsing. What an actor it was a truely outstanding performance...he really thought he was possessed or something...:err:

I went to Gigantour just over a week ago and Megadeth, Dream Theater and Nevermore were all badass!!!

Metal Church was great last year.
Black Label Society in 2002 or 2003.
Ozzy with Zakk on Halloween 2000 or so.
Testament is always good. (I have not seen the original lineup) :cry:

best show ive ever seen was probably tool and it wasn't just because of the songs. they bring a certain atmosphere that is just unlike anything else(all the ecstacy i put in my body that night helped to im sure). megadeth was also amazing when i saw them last year and they for sure put metallica to shame but the vibe amongst everybody at the show was awesome and that helps to. i thought arch enemy puts together a good show and i liked their precence on stage. i think that they re probably best when live. oh yeah, strapping young lad is the shit live. devin is the man and the band pulls out all the cool metal "moves." still looking foreward to nevermore in a couple weeks here though.

Ben_t said:
Damn I've seen Dead Jesus too...I can certify that they are pure garbage. They did the first part for Deeds of flesh when I saw them. The singer was punching himself on the head till he was bleeding. Then he started eating the bible. And he finally stopped and fell on the ground then he was convulsing. What an actor it was a truely outstanding performance...he really thought he was possessed or something...:err:
Dead Jesus :headbang: :headbang: :worship: :loco:

where in Quebec do you live? Montreal?

I haven't seen too many shows of bands I really really would love to see live, but Cryptopsy were great when I saw them this year. Besides the great musical aspect, they have a classy performance and the music speaks for itself. Lord Worm doesn't need to spend five minutes screaming and cursing at the audience in between songs to augment the music, and I definitely like that.

Edit: Oh.....GWAR have a great stage show obviously. Pain Of Salvation also seem to be amazing, although I haven't been able to see them live yet, since I live in the US.

Ben_t said:
lol, pathetic. Have you guys seen Horfixion? They're pretty good IMO!

Barking Pumpkin said:
I haven't seen too many shows of bands I really really would love to see live, but Cryptopsy were great when I saw them this year. Besides the great musical aspect, they have a classy performance and the music speaks for itself. Lord Worm doesn't need to spend five minutes screaming and cursing at the audience in between songs to augment the music, and I definitely like that.

Edit: Oh.....GWAR have a great stage show obviously. Pain Of Salvation also seem to be amazing, although I haven't been able to see them live yet, since I live in the US.
When you saw cryptopsy did Lord Worm give everyone "communion" out of that golden chalice and rub the ashes on peoples heads? I got lucky enough to eat one of the worms
best shows i've seen are Cephalic Carnage, Nevermore and Skinny Puppy... though i'm sure theres a lot of stuff I haven't been to which would top them