Trying To Break Into Black Metal, But...

Lots of great albums in this thread so far, however I can't help but recommend the album that first got me in to Black Metal.. Hordanes Land, and since theres a bit of blurring of the bm boundaries already at work, I'll recommend Bal-Sagoth - Starfire Burning Upon the Ice-Veiled Throne of Ultima Thule and Battle Magic.

and the Aeternus album isn't really raw at all and has a great balance of aggression and the type of earthy sound also explored by some of the other bands that he is already interested in.

Then again, maybe these are just my opinions.
You make it sound like a cigar or wine tasting lol jk

Anyways, Bathory anyone? ala Under the Sign.

I think the first black metal band to truly open my eyes to black metal was Craft. Once i heard the song Demonspeed, i was forever in love with black metal from thereafter. Try Craft - Fuck the Universe, if you're not too keen on rawer black metal then this is there least raw.

I found both of them to be pretty accessible albums, although I heard them both well into my black metal listening experience. I think that the Sacramentum album has a really open production and the type of intricate melodies that will catch just about anyone with an interest in extreme metal almost immediately, and the Aeternus album isn't really raw at all and has a great balance of aggression and the type of earthy sound also explored by some of the other bands that he is already interested in.

Then again, maybe these are just my opinions.

well i don't disagree with any of that, i'm just speaking from my own experience. that aeternus album especially gave loads of people trouble when falconsbane first drew attention to it on here and at metal rules, i didn't really understand why (and still don't) 'cause i loved it straight away. it's fucking amazing.

I have a major dislike for Burzum on many many many fronts and will never give a cent of my money to him.

So true, cant wait to see the mocking hollywood movie they are making about him now. hahaha:lol:

On topic: For me Darkthrone did the whole thing with "Transylvanian hunger". But with bands like Keep of Kalessin and Satyricon you can go through their album backwards from their newest releases to their first.

Lately I've been trying to get into Black Metal as I very much like the aesthetics of it all and of course it's yet another genre to expand my listening to.

Currently I'm enjoying what I would assume is on the fringes of the genre in a sort of Black + Ambient/Folk mix. Agalloch, Ulver, Negura Bunget, and a couple others. And then of course there's the more mainstream sounding Melodic Black metal In Dimmu Borgir & Illnath. I realize some of these may be "Black Metal-lite" for those BM fanatics among you, but please bear with me.

It would seem in comparing these bands with some of the more highly praised BM acts that the defining difference I'm taking notice of is the overall production style. It seems to have a very gritty, treble-y, almost low-bitrate quality to it, namely in the guitar distortion. Is this a more fundamental aspect of the genre, or am I simply running into a lot of bands with these production values? To be quite honest much of what I've heard *literally* gives me a headache, yet some of the heaviest Death Metal bands don't even phase me even after hours of listening.

So is this lo-fi production style a fundamental tenet of the genre that I'll simply have to get over (much like how Opeth helped me get over death growls several years ago) or am I simply looking into the wrong acts? Might you suggest a bridge between the "Agallochs" I currently enjoy towards to the "Darkthrones" of the core of the genre?

Much appreciated.

Well this may be a stupid question but have you tried Emperor? First three albums are all pretty ace and the first is one of the genre's best. Production isn't as raw as Burzum or Darkthrone or stuff like that.

So far I've checked out: Drudkh - Blood in Our Wells & Fen - Malediction Fields.

I must say I absolutely love BIOW, and the first track on Malediction "Exile's Journey" is pretty badass but the rest of the album didn't do anything for me.

EDIT: Windir has a nice vibe too.

I think the first black metal band to truly open my eyes to black metal was Craft. Once i heard the song Demonspeed, i was forever in love with black metal from thereafter. Try Craft - Fuck the Universe, if you're not too keen on rawer black metal then this is there least raw.

Definitely a fantastic recommendation.

I would say something like Drudkh as has been mentioned. They're black metal, but not so 'raw'.

I got into BM first with Immortal and then Catamenia.

You can't really go wrong with this genre besides a few shit bands like Cradle Of Filth, most Satyricon and late Dark Funeral. Heres some recommendations off my download check list.

Artefact
Antiquus Scriptum
Akroma
Bishop of Hexen
Black Lotus
Hindvir
In Lingua Mortua
Luna Ad Noctum
Negura Bunget
Netherbird
Vesania
Aeternus
Abigor
Sacramentum
Tormentor
Arckanum
Necromantia
Lunar Aurora
Veneficium
Mirrorthrone
Mystic Forest
Nagelfar
Nazxul
Obtained Enslavement
Profanum
Sarcophagus
Setherial
Stutthof
Watain
Taake
Sad Legend
Gontyna Kry
Forest of Fog
Epheles
Belenos
Averse Sefira
Mgla
Xibalba
Cirith Gorgor
Octinomos
Leviathan
Alghazanth
Dark Fortress
Thane of Cawdor
Burzum
Drudkh
Forgotten Legends
Vlad Tepes
Autumn Aurora
Blood In Our Wells
Estrangement
Belketre
Forgotten Woods
Branikald
Graveland
Mergiddo
Borknager
Enslaved
Entrhoned
Fanisk
Elysian Blaze
Xasthur
Marblebog
Temnozor’
Grimlair
Elhaz
Mutiilation
Varathron
Bilskirnir
Bann
Silencer
Wolven Ancestry
Faustcoven
Odal
Astrofaes
Hate Forest
Helheim
Helrunar
Kroda
Velimor
Poccolus
Thorns
Pantheon I
Old Mans Child
Sigh
Gehenna
Disiplin
Adhur
Ancient Rites
Ancient
Ishtar
Mykskog
Hail
Nav’
Dark Tribe
Throne of Ahaz
Mock
Ildjarn
Beherit
Belketre
Sorhin
Sacriligium
Mortuary Drape
Gontyna Kry
Bathory
Grand Belial’s Key
Stiny Plamenu
Dawn
Infernal War
Frozen Shadows
Abyssic Hate
Scorched
Beastcraft
Wolfsmond
Wigrid
Luror
Hel
Anti
Darkspace
Graben
Vinterland
Legion of Darkness
Mortifera
Dornenreich
Mork Gryning
Jotunspor
Svartsyn
Wolves In The Throne Room
Ibex Throne
Judas Iscariot
Moonblood
Necromantia
MysifierWeakling
Veles
Denial of God
Nortt
Antaeus
Count Nosferatu
Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult
Fog
Thy Infernal
Havohej
Fullmoon
Thunderkraft
Crebain
Nargaroth
Velvet Cacoon
Angantyr
Akonost
Balrog
Belinus
Code
Darkestrah
Dub Buk
Geasa
Heol Telwen
I Shalt Become
Krohm
Kvist
Lunaris
Manes
Master’s Hammer
Mefisto
Mysterium
Pagan Reign
Pestilential Shadows
Secrets of The Moon
Vulpecula
Zarathustra
Thornium
Nefandus
Nastrond
Allegiance
Lia
Darkestrah
Merrimack
Impiety
Setherial
Myrddraal
Ancient
A Gruesome Find
Hordes of the Lunar Eclipse
Realm of Carnivora
Demoncy
Sombre Chemin
GoD
Besatt
Eyes of Ligeia
Children of Maani
Morker
Lord Belial
Nattens Madrigal
Nachtmar
Profanatica
Maniac Butcher
Haemoth
Keep of Kalessin
Blasphemy
Krieg
Baptism
Hades Almighty
Inquisition
Nachtmystium
Countess
Crimson Moon
Samael
Alatyr
Demonium
Blood Stained Dusk
Surrender of Divinity
Nachtfalke
Mystic Forest
Pulver
Alcest
Sun Of The Sleepless
Supernal
Kadenzza
Aske
Kammarheit
Moonblood
Striborg
Sothis
Baptism
Old Man's Child
In The Woods…
Ondskapt
Ofermod
GloriorBelli
S.V.E.S.T.
Malign
Glorior Belli
Godkiller
Stormlord
Aborym
The Axis Of Perdition
Mortiis
Archgoat
Abused Majesty
Morbosidad
Teitanblood
Grave Miasma
Nabaath
Merrimack
Manitu
Nasav
Ritual
Nocternity
Athos
Ragnarok
Mirzadeh
Aeba
Svartsyn
Horn
Hellhammer
Ad Hominem
Thou Art Lord
Blacklodge
Geimhre
Drautran
Sacrilegium
Proclamation
Triskèle
Hekel
Forest Silence
Abysmal
Mort
Rotting Christ
Ved Buens Ende
Enthroned
Peste Noire
Catamenia
Altar of Plagues
Krallice
Borgne
Shining
Night Eternal
Be Persecuted
Wigrid
Thy Light
Trist
Crionics
Mglas
Groza
Woods of Ypres
Arcturus
Kyprian’s Circle
Sarkom
Stielas Storhett
Kampfar
Gjenferdsel
Katharsis
Root
Isvind
Ludicra
Weakling
Macabre Omen
Esbbat
Anal Vomit
Mantak
Mourning Dawn
Tenebrosus
Soulcide
Ater
Draugr
Hypomanie
Sturmkaiser
Nergal
Nazgul
Obscurity
Evil
Diabolical Breed
Fluisterwoud
Resuscitator
Venedae
Sorcier Des Glaces
Malignance
Apotheosis
Mictlantecuhtli
Engraved
Accursed
Drottnar
Malkuth
Black Funeral
Mystifier

Seems like quantity rather then quality. If I ever ask for recs, I want a few bands not an entire list unless albums are also specified.

Well alot of bands listed were not recommended in this thread but prolly some number of them were mentioned somewhere in the black metal thread. I'm not even close to done iwth that thread but I finished reading most of the death metal threads along with the power, pagan, and industrial thread. But again thats a list of bands that I will be downloading in the future. I also have quite a big index of downloaded bands on my drive haha.
And yes I mean black metal bands. Don't get me wrong though I belive almost all those bands are good qaulity from what I sampled.