Piano-based "ambient" music

CAIRATH

Astral Disaster
Feb 6, 2002
R'lyeh
The thread title is stupid because I cannot think of a better way to explain what I'm after in one sentence, but basically I am looking for music which compositionally is most like ambient music, but with the main driving instrument being a piano.

The best points of reference I can think of are the film American Beauty and more recently the TV series House M.D.. Both of those make use of very tranquil and open, almost "airy" sounding compositions in the background music. Very mellow and somewhat melancholic.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what I'm talking about and can think of any artists that make that kind of thing.

quite a few :p

first and foremost, Brian Eno - Music For Airports. Almost entirely Piano
others:
Harold Budd - The Pearl (especially, but Harold is a piano player so most everything ambient he does is like that)
Eluvium - any of the albums. But Accidental Memory... wasn't ambient, just simple piano tunes.
Max Richter - Songs From Before. Maybe a tad too song oriented, but definitely ambient-ish.
Johann Johannsson - Englaborn
Vir Unis - Not Even The Rain
Michael Whalen - My Secret Heart
Joffry Arthur - Childhood (this one might also be a bit too song oriented)

EDIT: for got some Erik Satie. Not ambient per se, but definitely had some influence on the development of the style. Try out Trois Gymnopedies.

Well, if you like the 'American Beauty' soundtrack, then a lot of Thomas Newman's stuff might appeal to you. At least, from what I've heard. Unfortunately, off the top of my head I can't recommend anything specific - sorry.

I think the Crash official soundtrack may be what you're looking for. I find it beautiful. Lot's of ambient, though it doesn't have as much piano as keyboards with other sounds. Though it is highly recommended.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, but a lot of the stuff that was suggested is not what I am after (I have not tried everything yet though). Here's an example of the type of thing I'm looking for. Mainly the first half of the song.

I couldn't find any House M.D. music online since Youtube seems to be filled with "lolz I made my own music video for Evanescence with House M.D. clips" videos. But it sounds very similar to that in terms of composition and atmosphere. Hopefully that makes it a bit more clear what I'm talking about. Not just quiet piano songs, but songs that sound like that. The kind of mellow and open, airy or floaty type music that sounds a bit optimistic and at the same time melancholic. That is the best way to poorly describe what I'm after.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the compositions on the soundtracks of 'Six Feet Under' and 'Erin Brockovitch' (the little that I remember of it anyway) should be appropriate. There's usually music like that when I watch 6ft Under.

this is what you are looking for:

b036b220dca00d1a35fd2010._AA240_.L.jpg

and also his "piano works".

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, but a lot of the stuff that was suggested is not what I am after (I have not tried everything yet though). Here's an example of the type of thing I'm looking for. Mainly the first half of the song.

I couldn't find any House M.D. music online since Youtube seems to be filled with "lolz I made my own music video for Evanescence with House M.D. clips" videos. But it sounds very similar to that in terms of composition and atmosphere. Hopefully that makes it a bit more clear what I'm talking about. Not just quiet piano songs, but songs that sound like that. The kind of mellow and open, airy or floaty type music that sounds a bit optimistic and at the same time melancholic. That is the best way to poorly describe what I'm after.

God I love that song.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that sounded nice! Almost makes me want to take up the piano again! I dropped it at age 15 after getting to Grade 7/8 and Grade 3 theory in the Royal Conservatory of Music.

Yeah that sounded nice! Almost makes me want to take up the piano again! I dropped it at age 15 after getting to Grade 7/8 and Grade 3 theory in the Royal Conservatory of Music.

That's where I SHOULD have been at 15... as it stands, I was such a lazy bastard that I scraped by grade 7 at 18, having already passed grade 5 theory at age 12. Wish I had worked harder. However, this type of composition isn't that technically demanding, so it shouldn't take too long to brush up for. It's more thoughtful than difficult.

I knew a couple of people who were certified and teaching piano by the time they were 18. One of my friends even taught my sister and made $30 an hour for it. I was jealous of those bastards, but I hated being forced to practice and learn from uptight old nuns. Now I wish I'd kept going. Teacher always said I was an exceptional student and learned quickly.

I just finished a Jazz Piano course.
The teacher said I did very well and "What is your instrument?"
The expression on his face when I told him I was studying geophysics, not music: priceless.
Sorry, I don't like ambient piano. some like it hot...