Looking for critiques on this hard rock mix

hagenmusic

Dec 22, 2010
Ionia Mi.
In the never ending struggle to get better recordings/production/mixes I am coming to some of the very talented people here to get your opinions and critiques. This is the fourth band that i've recorded in my home studio, and I finally think I'm starting to get average to above average recordings. I'm not necessarily
looking to see if you like the music or the song, it would be awesome if you did, but that isn't my main concern. I'm just looking for your opinions on the production and what I can do to get better, as I would one day like to be able to make a living out of this if I can keep improving. All coments and CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is welcome! :) Thanks http://soundcloud.com/studio-222-recording/mix-2-conforminty-07

Some really quick impressions after listening to half of the song:

first of all, it sounds like you're on the right way, keep on practicing and you'll get really great. This sounds decent so yeah. Keep it up and you'll be great in no time.

Some things that I think you could work more on:
First of all, the backing vocals could use a lot more work. They sound kind of uninspired and dull. I don't have any exact suggestions, but I think just spending more time on them will make it apparent what to do.
The lead vocals sound a bit muddy to me at times. In general it sounds good but I would try to boost some higher frequencys. Not sure if it's around 2-4 kHz but I think so, might be around 7k+ aswell. Cutting around 400 might do the trick aswell.
And the kick is really metal to be hard rock, but then again that's just a matter of taste.

But all in all it sounds really good!

Thanks for the advice.. This isn't the first time someone has thought the bg vox sound weird/uninspired. So I think I will suggest to have them retracked. After listening I think the choruses need to have more build up to them, and maybe have the guitars be a little bit more in your face. Thanks again for your suggestions!