Looking for "depth"

endofall

Sep 30, 2007
Ok so its pretty rare that I post anything and for that I am sorry to everyone, but I have something on my mind that I know has been discussed here before but it just seems that I am having a hard time capturing. Depth is a sticky subject and really can be up to the listener to interpret what level of depth/3d feeling the mix creates. I understand that classically the idea for creating depth for an instrument in a mix would be to use reverb and then to possibly place a low pass filter on the track to remove some of the highs to create the image that the object/instrument sets farther back in the mix. As a alternative to this method some people use delays set for a really short time in the tempo of the song to create a "wet" feeling but to allow the instrument to still be more present. Also the an eq can be used to create a more forward feeling by boosting highs and high mids and possibly reducing the lows. I know there is a whole lot more to the idea of creating a 3D feeling to a mix, but it seems to be difficult to achieve. So I have been working on this band for a while, I just finally finished with them and got a chance to go with them to have their CD mastered. They went to Studio B in Charlotte NC, with Dave Harris and he really seemed to bring the mix alive to me. It seems that what I had done for the mix was flat/ not as 3D as how he made it sound. So basically what I am getting at is what is the tips or tricks that everyone has for creating depth in a mix?

Maybe your mix was as you describe it 3d and the mastering processes enhanced all your work.Were you happy with the final master?

In my opinion you seem to have the concept of Depth well understood but perhaps are not feeling the music as you're vision would allow?Could it be the material your working with?

I notice that my mixes sometimes sound flat and in mastering something else come's alive if it's well mastered....but i believe that you need to know how to mix to "THAT" point so that at the next stage the music/song reach it's peak.(Mastering)

Sound's to me like you achieved this.

Yeah I was really happy with the final product after the mastering process. The band has a kind of a rock/metal/stoner punk feel so its a little different for me. It could be that I have just heard it so much that after hearing a new take on it (the mastering process), it sounded better. I did create space for each instrument using high/low pass filters and also using eq to cut certain frequency's to try and clear up the sound. I also used a side chain on compression to duck the bass when the kick drum hit, and also to duck the overheads when the snare hit. This helped create a more room. I will post a before and after example later tonight of the mix. Also if anyone has any tips or ideas I think this would be a great topic to share them on! Thanks guys