SSD No Depth/Dimension

CameronS

New Metal Member
Aug 3, 2012
Hey dudes,
I really like the sound of the Slate samples, but recently I checked out an old mix I did with Superior and the drums had this incredible 3D quality to them, that I haven't been able to achieve with slate.
I feel like i'm missing something, because so many people use slate drums and their mixes don't feel flat or 2d.

Are there any tricks with the configuration of ssd to get some more depth? Am I just using the wrong samples? Wrong room?
(im using SSD4)

it's most likely the blending of the room samples with e.q. and compression. the same way a snare sounds like a finger thumping a cardboard box without proper processing and the right amount of reverb/room micing.

Newer Slate samples are pretty raw by comparison to the old Yellow Matter stuff.

There's nothing wrong with the samples. you just need to look at your processing.

I've had similar results when using Slate. It's not that you can't get that sound with Slate, it's just that they aren't like that right out of the box. I just got BFD3 and it has the 3d thing in spades. Lately I use a blend of BFD, Slate, and Toontrack. They're all exceptional at different things.

Play around a lot with the "Room" track, it can really give the drums some life and some "hugeness".

It's all about the bleed(especially on the OH) and of course the room mics,put them louder and experiment with eq/compression a lot on them