Looking for more good Brutal DM bands

Vamos

Oct 21, 2006
Been having a good run with the Technical DM recommendation thread I started, many good bands have been mentioned so far. Thanks to all who have posted there. I want to do something similar but for Brutal DM in the hopes of getting some good recommendations as well.

So, some pointers that may help...

When it comes to Brutal DM, I enjoy bands like Suffocation, Saprogenic, Goretrade, Lykathea Aflame and Abnormality.

But I am not into the likes of Devourment, Vomit Remnants, Wormed, Pathology and Abominable Putridity.

I really don't like the 'bree bree' vocals as done by these bands, it totally kills the music for me. I guess it could probably be said that the less -core influence it has the better. Also don't like Nile or Cannibal Corpse, I mention them because they are sometimes put under this style.

Thanks in advance!

You might want to check out Sepsism if you haven't already.

Nothing new here, just good straight up BDM that does the job.

Here's a few songs:

Last edited by a moderator:
Excuse me if I insult your repertoire but if you haven't already a few big ones to check out are Defeated Sanity, Guttural Secrete and Gorgasm... and another few recommendations off the top of my head,

Vulvectomy - Putrescent Clitoral Fermentation
Amputated Genitals - Human Meat Gluttony
Despondency - Revelation IV (Rise Of The Nemesis)
Odiusembowel - Vomit Sucking Cunt Lips

(Sorry for being lazy and not posting any links!)

ClichéUserName;10749727 said:
You might want to check out Sepsism if you haven't already.

Nothing new here, just good straight up BDM that does the job.

Here's a few songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHcTTHE0psI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A_MVUlX_5o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAl53g1lINo

Yep...this is right up my alley, ClichéUserName! Really liked those three songs and the vocals are excellent. Will definitely check out some more. Thanks!

Excuse me if I insult your repertoire but if you haven't already a few big ones to check out are Defeated Sanity, Guttural Secrete and Gorgasm... and another few recommendations off the top of my head,

Vulvectomy - Putrescent Clitoral Fermentation
Amputated Genitals - Human Meat Gluttony
Despondency - Revelation IV (Rise Of The Nemesis)
Odiusembowel - Vomit Sucking Cunt Lips

(Sorry for being lazy and not posting any links!)

Thanks for the recommendations Podgie! :cool:

I had not listened to those first three bands you mentioned, actually. Gorgasm got me interested so I will keep checking out more of their songs but Defeated Sanity and Guttural Secrete both have the type of vocals I am not a fan of. Gorgasm has it a tad but rather dialed back so that it doesn't becomes a problem, at least from what I have heard so far.

With Vulvectomy, I am not really digging the music (heard three tracks from that album you listed), not much an issue with the vocals just that the songs tend to plod even when they start up fine.

Amputated Genitals, Despondency and Odiusembowel sadly also have the 'bree bree' vocals I don't quite like. In Despondency's case it is more like 'oink oink' actually and with Odiusembowel the screams turn me off along with the -core influence (which I am not a fan of).

Thanks again for the bands Podgie, appreciate it. Please don't take my comments about some of the suggestions the wrong way or anything, I guess I am just super picky when it comes to this particular style :) Will check out some more Gorgasm!

Brutal death is largely worthless.

I pretty much like (to varying degrees, with various reservations):
Suffocation - Effigy Of The Forgotten
Deeds Of Flesh - Mark Of The Legion
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris

Delete the rest.

Thanks for the recommendations Podgie! :cool:

I had not listened to those first three bands you mentioned, actually. Gorgasm got me interested so I will keep checking out more of their songs but Defeated Sanity and Guttural Secrete both have the type of vocals I am not a fan of. Gorgasm has it a tad but rather dialed back so that it doesn't becomes a problem, at least from what I have heard so far.

With Vulvectomy, I am not really digging the music (heard three tracks from that album you listed), not much an issue with the vocals just that the songs tend to plod even when they start up fine.

Amputated Genitals, Despondency and Odiusembowel sadly also have the 'bree bree' vocals I don't quite like. In Despondency's case it is more like 'oink oink' actually and with Odiusembowel the screams turn me off along with the -core influence (which I am not a fan of).

Thanks again for the bands Podgie, appreciate it. Please don't take my comments about some of the suggestions the wrong way or anything, I guess I am just super picky when it comes to this particular style :) Will check out some more Gorgasm!

Haha no man! S'all good, I actually agree with you :loco:

I guess you're like me in the sense you prefer more traditional / old school brutal death... which I kind of just class as death metal, 'cause as Lateralus quite rightly says, most of stuff with the 'brutal' tag is pretty worthless :loco:

I shot you a few more albums anyway, even if they're not all super brutal haha

Accidental Suicide - Deceased
Oppressor - Solstice Of Oppression
Baphomet - The Dead Shall Inherit
Morgue - Eroded Thoughts

Broken hope - swamped in gore
Pyrexia - sermon of mockery
Suture - skeletal vortex
Resurrected - butchered in excrement

I pretty much like (to varying degrees, with various reservations):
Deeds Of Flesh - Mark Of The Legion
Cryptopsy - None So Vile

I had planned to spin that Cryptopsy album soon, have seen it recommended often. Had not heard Deeds of Flesh but checked out a couple of tracks from that album on YouTube and the vocals aren't really doing it for me, a shame because the rest is nice.

I guess you're like me in the sense you prefer more traditional / old school brutal death... which I kind of just class as death metal, 'cause as Lateralus quite rightly says, most of stuff with the 'brutal' tag is pretty worthless :loco:

Yeah, I enjoy more the old school type of death and tech/brutal death metal :cool:.

As far as brutal death metal goes, I like to believe that the genre has it's share of good stuff but that there is so much worthless stuff around that it tends to overshadow it. It is probably because bands just jump into a trend or because of bands like Pathology that practically phone it in every year with a new album, the scene is definitely saturated by bands that simply aren’t worth it.

I shot you a few more albums anyway, even if they're not all super brutal haha

Accidental Suicide - Deceased
Oppressor - Solstice Of Oppression
Baphomet - The Dead Shall Inherit
Morgue - Eroded Thoughts

Thanks! Yeah these are more along the lines of regular death. Not brutal DM but still nice from the song I heard from each. Will check out some more of their songs. I had heard Oppressor previously as it was recommend to me via the Technical DM recommendation thread, liked it.

Krow: Thanks for the recommendations! Can’t check them out now since I basically ran out of time at work :p Will do so and comment later today.

Broken hope - swamped in gore
Pyrexia - sermon of mockery
Suture - skeletal vortex
Resurrected - butchered in excrement

The couple of tracks I've heard from that Pyrexia album were nice, someone also recommended me this band elsewhere, will definitely check out some more from them. I am not quite feeling that Broken Hope album, can't really put my finger on it to be honest, it is not the vocals, it is more like the whole production of it. Suture was interesting, with their incorporation of some black metal into the mix, from the two songs I heard. Not much of a problem in this case but I am not yet sold on it, will give it a couple of more spins later. Resurrected didn't really do it to me, 'bree bree' vocals along with some of the screams typical of grind/deathcore are too present in the music.

Thanks again for the recommendations Krow! :)

I had heard Oppressor previously as it was recommend to me via the Technical DM recommendation thread, liked it.

Ahhh yeah, that album is great! ... You'd wouldn't think the same band went on to form Soil and release that 'Halo' song! :loco:

Ahhh yeah, that album is great! ... You'd wouldn't think the same band went on to form Soil and release that 'Halo' song! :loco:

Hehe, quite the change. I have seen things like this several times like the guys from Thergothon who went on to make shoegaze/trip-hop and then elecronic music o_O

Infernal Revulsion Devastate Under Hallucination

Prostitute Disfigurement-Descendants of Depravity

Lividity-Fetish For the Sick

Its not really brutal death metal but, this is the most brutal funeral doom band I know of. Fading Sun-Yawning Void.

Hey there droom23!

Checked out the songs. Sadly Infernal Revulsion has those ‘bree bree’ vocals I said in the OP I didn’t like. I had heard Prostitute Disfigurement before and while it sounds nice, I am not really getting into the music and I kind of got bored by the second song. It seems to lack something distinctive to grab my interest. Didn’t like Lividity, specially the vocals. That excerpt from Fading Sun was interesting, will check out the full song.

Thanks for the recommendations! :)

and

Have fun

Thanks for the tunes arf!

Sadly, all of them have the 'bree bree' vocals I said in the OP that I didn't like and some of them also have very noticeable -core influence :(

If it helps here are the brutal DM bands I like: Abnormally, Cryptopsy, Goretrade, Hideous Divinity, Hour of Penance (this was a great find), Inveracity, Lykathea Aflame, Saprogenic, Sepsism, Suffocation and Vile.

I really don't think you can escape -core influence in brutal death metal... It's so damn closely related to death/grind most people can't even tell it apart... You over label things as pig squeals too. these bands don't really sound like jfac's doom or whatnot. The vocals are just ridiculously low or gurgled.... It's something you have to accept to truly enjoy the genre, I think. I've been listening to the genre for six years now and can think of very few bands with traditional death growls which is why I was hesitant and odd in my recommendations.

You over label things as pig squeals too. these bands don't really sound like jfac's doom or whatnot. The vocals are just ridiculously low or gurgled.... It's something you have to accept to truly enjoy the genre, I think.

Yeah, I guess you are right; I know I am being very picky here; but the thing is that what bothers me about the vocals in the majority of these bands is something very specific yet highly subjective given that whether or not it becomes a problem for me depends on the degree in which it is found and also on how the rest of the instruments go with it. From my understanding, it is not really about the growls being really low (which I actually like and don't mind) but rather about the way they sound.

Compare for example the growls on Saprogenic with those of Goretrade to see what i mean. Saprogenic doesn't have that sound i am referring to yet they use low growls but Goretrade does (even tho dialed back to such a point where it doesn't bothers me most of the time, and it also works well with their music).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMEK6-cI6EM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMEK6-cI6EM[/ame]

I know I am likely over labeling things :)p) but do you hear the 'bree bree' tone of the Goretrade growls? As I said, they have it dialed back to the point where it doesn't bothers me most of the time and their music helps mitigate it. Which is why I listed them as one of the brutal DM bands I like. But that is the issue that bothers me and which is rather prominent and overdone in so many brutal DM bands (see for example the last video in arf's post).

My bad, I haven't fully read your description hehe. Well, no *bree bree* huh. Let's see, uh
Guttural Slug - Hacksaw Surgery
Fleshrot - Cranial Atrophy
Severed Savior - Fecalphiliac
Whoretopsy - Eviscerated Harlot (sounds like brutal deathcore but still pretty good, especially their Isn't She Lovely EP)
Try anything from Brain Drill, I recommend Forcefed Human Shit. (I would also recommend Brain Drill for your TDM post)

That's all I could think of for today, I'll think about what else I got in here. Didn't post links because of low bandwidth.