Looking for new Metal

White Wolf

New Metal Member
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
Hi,
I have recently got back into metal. I was a huge metal fan in the 80's: Maiden, Priest, Sabbath, Early Scorp's, Saxon etc...
My purchase of Iced Earth - Alive in Athens sparked my renewed interest. I had no idea there was such a thriving metal scene. Metal get's no exposure in the U.S. Anyways, I have since purchased about 20 cd's and am looking for recommendations. For reference I enjoy all metal, but mostly Power. Blind Guardian has become one of my favorite bands of all time. I'm going to see them in Chicago in a couple weeks.

Thanks!

Well this is a good place for discovering new bands. I've discovered a some good bands here.

Well if you like Thrash type music, I suggest Annihilator, particularly Carnival Diablous, Never Neverland, Alice In Hell or their latest Waking the Fury. :headbang:

Remember Liege Lord well the singer went to be a guitarist for Overkill, and now is the singer for Annihilator. He has great vocal range. It ranges from Iron Maiden to AC/DC to Slayer. They are also releasing a Double Live CD (Double Annihilation Live) this winter or early spring, which will have a little bit of 8 of 9 songs of their CD's. :D

Welcome to UM!! :wave:

As always, I will recommend Opeth. Try out their Morningrise album. :headbang:

Enjoy the forums. :)

Weapon X: Cool! Annihilator-carnival diablous is already on my want list. What other thrash do you listen to?

Rustymetal: I have Blackwater Park, it's great. I'll check out Morningrise. what is Opeth classified as? Melodic Death?

could you guy's list your favorite 5-10 bands?

Opeth isn't really classified as anything... but see how you like "progressive melodic death metal". :confused:

Top 5-10 favourite bands (not in any specific order):

- Opeth
- My Dying Bride
- Dave Caswell (http://www.mp3.com/dave_caswell)
- Arcturus
- Lacuna Coil
- Katatonia
- Dark Tranquillity
- Nine Inch Nails

There's eight for you. :)

Try these guys out, Opeth is very highly reccomended!

Opeth(best way I can desribe is progressive Death Metal with clean/and brutal vocals and lots of cool acoustic parts)
Therion (symphonic metal with a lot of classical influences*choir*)
Samael (slow black metal turned industrial/techno, the latter two albums are very good to work out to!)
Katatonia (depressive,bleak and moving)
anything by Dan Swano!
In Flames/Arch Enemy (Swedish Thrash with very cool melodies)

hope this helps you out ;)

i'll definately check out these bands. Thanks for the tips. My favorite so far:

Blind Guardian
Gamma Ray
Iced Earth
Nightwish
Opeth
Slayer
Testament
Symphony X

Ive been looking for a symphny X cd for some time now, arg! I hope I find one soon!!! *pulls hair out in frustration*

Do you hav Testaments First Strike is Still Deadly? I think thats what its called; the remakes of some of the older stuff.......?

Symphony X came out with a CD: The Odessy. It's much heavier than any of their other works. Check out www.theendrecords.com if you can't find it at a store. I have 6 Testament disc's, but I don't have First Strike is Still Deadly. Is it all remakes of their own music or covers?

Hey welcome to UM, White Wolf! I'll see you at the Chicago show, as I work for SymX & am flying out to see that & the Cleveland show..one more week, woohoo can't wait!