Looking for OH mics. need your advices

born_dead

Jan 22, 2009
Hi, guys!
Need pair mics for overheads. akg c214 or rode nt1a or ... ? better used mics cuz i have $600-700 max

i picked up a pair of CAD e70 's (http://www.cadaudio.com/e70.php) for well under $300 new to use as spare cymbal spot mics, and after a few months of using them i've come to the conclusion that they are incredible for the price. GREAT on hihats, splashes, chinas etc in the studio, i much prefer them over my SM81's, and maybe even the AKG C414s!

I havent tried them as overheads in the studio, but i took em out for a live gig recording a few weeks ago in a horrible sounding hall-type venue, and this is the result:

regular spaced pair, no EQ other than a rolloff around 500Hz, straight out the board. pretty cool!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just went through this myself. I would love to have 184's but at 3 times the price I couldnt justify them. Tried a few sets. The octava's get rave reviews as well, i just don't care for removable capsules myself. I wouldnt get to wrapped up in "matched pairs" Two of the same mics purchased at the same time should be very close. I ended up going with a pair at4040's and I couldnt be happier. For some reason they just sound good. Plus being able to use them on vox, acoustic gtr, gtr amps is a huge bonus. I was very close to going even cheaper and buying the at2035's. These look amazing for the money. Pad, Roll Off. Low noise. I tried the NT5's and found them boring. Although you might be into that. I like a little character.

I bet the at2025 becomes a go to mic. It looks almost identical to the discontinued 3035 and I believe has slightly better specs. But im a big fan of the at4040 in general.

Hope this helps.

Beyer MC930, you can get them for like $800 new on eBay from ProAudioStar, though it doesn't look like there's any up right now. Used, they'd be in your price range, easy.

I like them much better than Neumann KM184s, and the fact that they're like half the price used makes them even better :p