Got some money, want some new mics

sawtooth

Jun 24, 2007
Kent, UK
Hey all, I have come into enough money to pay for new mics on finance. I'm looking at mics for overheads and I was also thinking of getting two good preamps (Audient Mico) to compliment my Saffire Pro 40, if they are worth it of course. My choices are:

2x KM184s and Mico for 1300 pounds
2x AKG C451Bs and 2x AKG C214 for 1200 pounds
2x AKG C451Bs or C214s and Mico for 1000 pounds

or I can buy 2x Oktava 012s outright and buy Mico on finance.

These will also be used to do mobile recording guitars, orchestra, choirs as well as overheads. I have a SM7b for hats.

What would you do?

Cheers guys

Do you know how the C451 sounds like? Do you record overheads, orchestra and choirs in cardioid only? Are you sure the Audient Mico is an upgrade from the Saffire Pro preamps and conversion?

I would go with a stereo pair of C414 XLS microphones as they sound great on pretty much everything you need them to record including vocals and guitar cabs. Of course you can also go with a pair of C214 mics if you don't need the high pass, pad and various selectable polar patterns.

The Mico is really nice. My roommate has it and the preamps are very clean and clear and the Variphase on channel two is pretty cool addition if you notice phase problems or just want to screw with phase.

I'd either go with the KM184's or a pair of 414's as your choice of mics, leaning toward the 414's. Switchable polar patterns, pads, and HPF's are handy and the 414 is just a workhorse.

Don't buy anything on finance. Ever. It's never a good idea unless you already have the funds secured to pay it off.

If I had only one pair of mics in that general budget range, I'd get the AKG C414 BULS (or the newer XLS).

I used to have a pair of 451s but didn't like them, too thin and bright. KM184s are nice but I prefer the 414.

The Oktavas are great mics too.

I use both the km184 and 414 mics multiple times a week on various things from over heads, high hats, strings, acoustic guitar, glock, percussion, etc and the 414 overall always beats the km184.

The cello I miced this weds with a 414 was incredible.

My disclaimer though is that this is live sound

I can afford 200 a month, so finance isn't a problem. I just want something now because I've got session coming up recording acoustic guitar. Thanks guys, looks like it's KM184 or 414, although they are 500 pounds more than the KM184 with Mico.