AE's New Nebula Thread

Oct 8, 2008
New Nebula thread!

I updated my website with links to all of the new programs, and, after thinking about it I decided to go ahead and open up a Donations button. If anyone wants to donate, you'll be funding a guy to pick up more gear for you guys to use (Hot preamps! Mesa OS! LET'S DOOO IT) and you'll be keeping a great work ethic alive. Head over to www.myspoonistoobig.net and click the donate button! If a mod wants me to remove the link, I will, I'm not interested in getting ruined for breaking the rules.

And now.. programs.

eng101.gif
PROTIP: If a cab (or any Nebula program) is too loud or soft for your tastes, first, make sure your input signal is nice and hot. Then, select the cab program, and then go to Prog -> Edit -> Glob, and change the Pad Out setting to whatever you would like. They start at -30db now because it really should be adjusted each time. For instance, if you've got two tracks open and that's it, -3db pad out all the way. If you've got six tracks, -20db each. It pays to pay attention to this little feature, because it's got a numeric value you can track.

Mount Crushmore - Nebula program collections named in honor of presidential badassery.

Roosevelt - Peavey 5150, Mesa Oversized 4×12, and many microphones to choose from. 28 programs total. Teddy Roosevelt was a workhorse and a man’s man. Like the 5150, his wisdom, work ethic and power will probably never be outdated. You find me someone else who can get shot on a podium and still finish the speech. Created 8-23-09.
Lincoln - Engl Invader 150, Mesa Oversized 4×12, and a handful of microphones. 8 programs total. Lincoln’s a badass on account of he saved the Union. Appropriately named Lincoln because the amp died during sampling, so I couldn't sample as fully as I did with Roosevelt. Created 8-23-09.
Truman - Peavey 5150, Krank Revolution 4X12, handful of mics. 19 programs total. Truman dropped bombs. Created 8-30-09.

Microphones and microphone positioning for Crushmore - Here
Download Links - Roosevelt (61 MB) - Lincoln (16 MB) - Truman (42 MB)

Also posting Crushmore Blends 1 (11 MB), which contains five programs created from multiple tracks from Crushmore. Includes:

-Lincoln I5 2, Roosevelt 57 3
-Truman 4040 2, Truman 421 3
-Truman 57 2, Truman 421 3
-Truman 421 1 and 3 (Fredman)
-Truman 57 1 and 3 (Fredman)

Tone tests - Using Marcus's Holy Diver tracks, I created some audio samples using my favorite cab samples from Crushmore. The audio chain was TSS -> 7170 -> Nebula, and the settings looked like this:

crushmoretests.PNG

-Lincoln AT4040 2 Off-axis close
-Lincoln I5 3 Off-axis close angled inward
-Roosevelt SM57 1 On-axis close
-Roosevelt C414 2 Off-axis close
-Roosevelt E902 Off-axis 6" back
-Truman SM57 5 Off-axis 6" back
-Truman MD421 2 Off-axis close
-Truman MD421 3 Off-axis close angled inward
-Truman I5 2 Off-axis close

No post-processing.

05-12-09 - LA610 program packs!

Used a Universal Audio LA610 MkII, a Marshall 9100 power amp, my friend's '74 Marshall cab, and five different microphones. 30 programs total. Here is a list of descriptions for each program.

-LA610 Sennheiser MD421 Pack 1
-LA610 Neumann TLM103 Pack 1
-LA610 Shure SM57 Pack 1
-LA610 AKG C214 Pack 1
-LA610 Sennheiser E906 Pack 1

These packs have higher volumes! I raised the "pad out" to be at -10db by default. You'll probably find yourself turning it down, but it's better than turning it up every single time.

Older programs (but still newer than the original original runs):

-Sennheiser MD421, Marshall 9100A, Marshall ‘74 Off-axis
-Sennheiser MD421, Marshall 9100A, Marshall ‘74 Off-axis #2 (oh maaaan)

-Audix I5, Peavey 5150, Marshall ‘74 w/ v30s
-Audix I5, Peavey 5150, Marshall ‘74 w/ v30s #2
-Audix I5, Crate Blue Voodoo, Marshall ‘74 w/ v30s
-Audix I5, Crate Blue Voodoo, Marshall ‘74 w/ v30s #2
-2 x Audix I5, Peavey 5150, Marshall ‘74 w/ v30s
-2 x Audix I5, Peavey 5150, Marshall MG Series w/ 2x v30s, 2x Legend 125s
-2 x Audix I5, Marshall 9100, Marshall ‘74 and Marshall MG Series
-2 x Audix I5, Marshall 9100, Marshall ‘74 and Marshall MG Series #2 (Nebula 3 Free compatible)

---

Do I really have to have the full Nebula 3?! Nope! If you only want to try Nebula for cab simulations, you can purchase the license to Nebula 2, which is a mere 20 Euros. You'll be able to use many programs, but their full capabilities may or may not be realized. A lot of sampling has been done to accommodate for new features in Nebula 3, but it would appear that cab simulation is the same for both Nebula 2 and Nebula 3 users alike. If you want to explore Nebula for more than just cab sims, you can later upgrade from Nebula 2 to Nebula 3 for a reduced fee.

How do load programs? ¯\(°_o)/¯ To load all of these programs, you will have had to purchase Nebula. For programs specific to Nebula Free, visit here. The loading process is the same for the premium version and the free version: After Nebula is installed, download some cab model programs. Inside the .rar file is two types of files, .n2p and .n2v. The .n2p files go in your Programs folder in your Nebula install directory, and the .n2v files go in your Vectors folder. Then, open or re-open Nebula. The group names are up to 3 characters long on the mini LCD, and mine are under the group AE. Once you click that, the cabs show up on the left side.

What do all these knobs do? Oh, they do nothing. Don't mess with Attack, Release, or Drive, or you'll probably get a wonky sound. Liquidity is a knob designed to blend between the different gain stages, in other words, make dynamics a little smoother. I leave it on zero usually.

Can I make these programs without Nebula? Yes, you can download the test tone I've been using (generated with Cab Session 2), re-amp the signal through your guitar cab and record it. Send the recording back to me, and I can put it through the deconvolution process. Be aware, though, that I will not be generating these for use with Nebula 3 Free. You will be able to use them with Nebula 2, though, which is only 20 Euros. You can find the test tone right here -> http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/285689/Forum/cs2testtone.wav

I can't see these in Nebula 3 Free.

They're unfortunately not designated to run in Neb3Free :( I'll be releasing some more Neb3Free programs, but I'll have to wait until I make more regular progs in general.

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ALL OF YYYYOOOUUUUU :kickass:

So cool. Are this things better than impulses? better than the "catharsis awesometime " impulse pack?

Better than Ryan's how?

Better technology and response? Yes, absolutely. Undeniably. The best on the planet, even.

Better right out of the box? No, because I am not as good at micing cabs as Ryan. To be better than Ryan's impulses, RYAN needs to make a Nebula program. And all he has to do is record the test tone I sent him and send it back to me.

Better than Ryan's how?

Better technology and response? Yes, absolutely. Undeniably. The best on the planet, even.

Better right out of the box? No, because I am not as good at micing cabs as Ryan. To be better than Ryan's impulses, RYAN needs to make a Nebula program. And all he has to do is record the test tone I sent him and send it back to me.

...and maybe Marcus, Guitarhack, and Poid as well. ;) :D

Yeah, that's what we're waiting on at the moment, but those guys aren't to be heard from anywhere. I haven't seen GH on here for a little while. It really is as simple as them simply running AE's sweep through their gear at this stage. They don't even need NAT or Nebula - just send the damned recorded test tones back at AE and he'll do the rest.

I want to do this so bad but it's not practical. If nobody takes this on I'll see if I can get access to a friend/client's place and sample his 3-chan dual rec power section and Oversize cab.

Hi AE! I remember lurking around here a while ago when you had your first go at Nebula. I think you made programs for a 1960A cab. Was that a cab with the regular G12T/75 speakers? And if so, will you make new programs of it again? Would be darn cool :)