Nebula 3 Free programs!

Oct 8, 2008
If you've never experienced Nebula, or you've never been able to bring yourself to spend the money on the full version based on the free releases, this thread is directed at you. Recently, I picked Nebula back up and overcame the previous obstacles to come up with near-perfect cab simulation. Maybe cab simulation isn't what you need, but if it is, this is the program to use. I'll have free releases here, and I want the rest of this thread devoted to using Nebula 3 Free effectively, feedback on what you experience (sound quality, usability, etc), and such discussion.

Nebula's ridiculously powerful, but easy to misuse and misunderstand. Hopefully, this thread can be used to get you started with Nebula 3 Free, get you using it effectively, and help make your mind up about buying the full version to gain access to -TONS- of fantastic-sounding programs.

What is a program? Nebula's presets, patches, sounds, whatever. They're called programs. They're typically very small, only a few KB in size. The audio data (called vector files) for each program can be enormous.

How do Nebula Free? ¯\(°_o)/¯ Well, first, you need the Nebula 3 Free VST. You can get it from www.acusticaudio.net under the Downloads section. Under Free Releases, look for Nebula 3 Free. At the time of posting, the version was 1.3.251. After you download and install it, you'll be able to load it into your favorite VST host, Cubase or something.

I see Nebula 3, but I also see Nebula 3 Reverb. What is this? This is the same thing as Nebula 3. The EXACT same thing. EXCEPT for the fact that there's a very large latency. The reason is so that it lightens the strain on your CPU, and gives you the ability to use more intense programs at a better quality. I always use Neb 3 Reverb when I'm not tracking. But if you're tracking, it's almost impossible to cope with the latency. The point is, they're the same!

How do I load your programs? First, you download them from the section below. Second, you will need to put the .n2p and .n2v files in the correct spot. In your Nebula installation folder (default is c:\nebulatemprepository), there's a folder called "Programs" and a folder called "Vectors" and you will put the corresponding files in those folders. So, you'll put file.n2p in the Programs folder, and file.n2v in the Vectors folder. Then, when you load Nebula (if it's already open, you will have to close it and reopen it completely), the programs will show up!

But, be careful. Nebula 3 Free can ONLY use programs that have been designated to be free. It will not load commercial plugins. For those, you will have to buy the full version.

When Nebula loads up, for my programs, look for the AE group on the right side of the miniature LCD screen. If you click that, on the left, my cab programs should appear. Select any one of them.

Once you load one of the programs, that should be IT! Don't mess with the attack knob or the release knob, and don't mess with the drive knob. Those have no affect on the sound other than icky gross stuff. These cab programs were created to be loaded and be good to go! The only knob that may sometimes make a difference is the Liquidity knob, which is sort of a complex thing anyway. It doesn't make a huge difference in the end.

---

Free releases -- I will update this area with free releases as they come, just for you, my lovely little moochers.

AE

---

Tips

• Don't drive the input too hard. Nebula can distort very easily if your input signal is too loud, but you'll also be missing a fair amount of detail if your input signal is too low.
  • Nebula's a tank. It's powerful and accurate, but it comes with a price. You may find that tracking with an impulse and later applying Nebula to mix is the best way to go.
  • Bounce your tracks down! If you bounce your tracks to .wav and re-import them, you'll be able to mix with greater agility and have a larger impact. Treat it like a real cab recording, because that's what it is.
  • Don't be afraid to ask questions. This is still uncharted territory, and even if you can figure it out, someone else might not be able to. Let's document everything we do and make this mainstream!

If you have any questions about the program or feedback about the quality, this is the place. Let's hear your first impressions and your concerns! I'll do what I can to help.

---

*05-12-09 - Added three free programs, created today.

AE this is some astonishing stuff! I dont think I'll leave my computer for the next 48 hours. Installed this about 5 minutes ago and my jaw dropped im in shock the chugging on this with 8505!! Man thanks so much for all your hard work!!

It definitely does have a lot more in the highs, but he's better at micing than I am. Plus, we had different microphones, different cabs, different rooms, power amps, and I'm sure volumes. You ought to mix it!

+1 on the pursuit of vikings !!! I just saw Amon Amarth live the other day and it was awesome. Nice sounding clip BTW