AE's New Nebula Thread

All I did was load my CS2 session (which has all of the default settings I use), go to the Offline panel, uncheck Sync, and hit Generate. What that does is take the same tone it would use in Online mode, and puts it in WAV form on your harddrive. So instead of NAT playing the WAV, recording the output, AND deconvolving, all it does is give you the WAV so you can process it and bring it back, and all NAT does is deconvolve.

So, that's all. CS2 -> Offline -> Generate. This is the file it generates, and it's the file I sent out to everyone, and when they send it back, all I do is load CS2, go to Offline mode, uncheck Sync, load their recorded file, and hit deconvolve. That's how you have all you have today.

But, that's all with the CS2 default settings. With CS2, I came extremely close, so I stopped moving around too much on it. I kept the settings the same for the most part, and if I found any differences by changing small settings, they were so insignificant that I forget I even did it by now. But that doesn't mean I did everything there was to do, you know? The possibilities are limitless. There are still a lot of settings people can toy with, and I'll dive into that a bit here..

Lemme start by saying that I start with NAT and no session. Giancarlo began helping me while we were still trying to make Nebula match impulses, remember? So when I started trying to do dynamics, I created a cab session from scratch. That's Cab Session 2.

Opening that in NAT gives you pretty much a blank slate. Click into the Expert panel, and I'll go over a few things..

You'll see that I used the template Template_dynamic_1h (10K), seven 15-second sweeps with a 2-decibel variance between them, and only repeat this process once. This is why the test tone WAV file is seven sweeps long and are quieter each time.

Now, what would happened if we used ten 20-second sweeps with a 10-decibel variance each time? I have no idea. But this is a modification to Cab Session 2 that ANYONE can make and try. All you have to do is edit the Length, Repeats, Steps, etc fields in the Expert panel in NAT. If you only edit those things, you'll STILL be using the same test tone, and NAT will analyze and deconvolve them in the SAME way, but there will just be more or less or louder or quieter tones. You will still retain the integrity of the cab programs.

You'll also see that I used Enhanced mode, Mono, and 64-bits. Changing these may give you a different sound, but I'm about 100% confident you'd be taking a step in the wrong direction by doing so because of my workings with Giancarlo. For Kernels, I've set the number at 5, and when I went to 10, I noticed absolutely zero difference except for a file that was twice as large. Maybe it can make a difference to have more or less, but I'm pretty stoked about the sound we're getting now, so I'm cool with it.

I wouldn't even touch anything on the Envelopes tab.

Honestly, that's all there really is to it. If you JUST load CS2, you have exactly the same settings I use for both online and offline sampling. The only changes I would ever make are described above.

No sir. Reamp boxes are used to change the impedence of the signal from line level to instrument level so the input of your amp can be driven hard. With sine sweeps, you want to BYPASS the preamp section, because it will sound silly and the end result is bad. So, you tap directly into the power section by going into the FX Loop Return. Your power amp (and ANY power amp) is looking for a line level signal (that's what comes from your preamp), so you are perfectly perfect to send a cable from your interface to the FX Loop Return of your amp.

But BE CAUTIOUS. By doing this, you'll PROBABLY be bypassing your master volume, depending on the amplifier of course. What that means for you is that if you just run the sine sweep out into your FX Return, it's probably going to sound like a volcanic eruption in your room. This is NORMAL, and your amp and speakers CAN take it just fine, but you probably don't want to do it that loud. You have two options to turn it down.

If you're sampling offline, you're sending the signal out FROM Cubase or Protools or something. Just turn the sine sweep signal down here on its track properties.

Now, on the Online Sampler, there's a Gain field. What that does is change the output level of the sine sweep(s) in the same way that the volume control on Cubase's track properties will. Generally, you'll get between -50 and -20.

Awesome work, thanks for sharing it.

Bump - what's the current progress with Nebula cab programs? Are the new Ownhammer Standard Series considered to be any good?? I loved the dynamics present in them but also found them to be tonally different to what I wanted.

I just recently installed Nebula again after a few years of playing with POD HD500 and impulses, and I found Kalthaleen Nebula programs to be quite good when you hit the right combination for what you want out of a tone.
They do feel very dynamic, especially when you play.
Here`s a little clip of good ol` Jeff`s ROS

http://db.tt/AXNbGSuA

Hi, very thanks for upload but... every time when i want to download, i have...
"Temporary error, retrying... and nothing else :(

Hi, very thanks for upload but... every time when i want to download, i have...
"Temporary error, retrying... and nothing else :(

Try downloading it with Jdownloader or some downloader manager.
At least in Shshshpain it works without any problem

Greetings to all of you!:worship:
I`m new in Nebula, I was always using IR`s but now I`m trying to use Nebula instead. So I have a question, hope smb will help a little bit:)
Using IR`s I could mix them in a way I wanted. I believe Nebula progs can be mixed too, I love german sound, especially ENGL`s and some Diezel`s but many of Engl type program (Others are actually too in a way) are too smooth, dark and far from listener, others are on the contrary too "in your face", bright and sharpy, so the reason to mix them to make an ideal sound is obvious:saint: But how exactly should I do this correctly? Insert so many Nebula`s on track as I need and declare a suffering death to my PC? :loco: (which is however powerful but not for many Nebula`s :heh:) or how?
Does btw smb have a some kind of shootout between IR`s and Nebula?
I really appreciate author`s diligence, I believe soon I`ll be able to edit those progs and kernels right so they could kick IR`s ass later:headbang: I`m still dealing whith new thing to me, gain staging... -18 db, everything`s so silent... a little mystery for me how to work with it, however I think once I`ve got it, IR`s will have no chance! So, at least please tell me how to mix programs. Thanx in advance!