Nebula 3 Free programs!

Ok, I made some comparison clips, first we have Ryans awesome4pulse.wav.

https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/371262/8505TestFinal.mp3

Then with no settings changed, the free Nebula program, trying to match volumes as close as I could.

https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/371262/8505TestFinalNebula.mp3

The Nebula program seems to have a lot more high end to me, but maybe that's just my ears right now, as it's 4:01AM here. Let me know what you guys think though.

This is a complete bummer for me (as i own nebula 2) but i still think that nebula hasnt got a patch on the impulse :erk::cry: I find the nebula tone much much different, and also of lesser quality. But i figure this might not be the fairest of tests :lol:

Thanks for the tone test tho Stee, and also many thanks to Aternus for keeping Nebula rolling!!! Im still hoping we'll get there some time.

This is a complete bummer for me (as i own nebula 2) but i still think that nebula hasnt got a patch on the impulse :erk::cry: I find the nebula tone much much different, and also of lesser quality. But i figure this might not be the fairest of tests :lol:

I agree with you, but I don't think it's due to Nebula itself. The actual recording techniques and gear are the question at this point. We've found in prior tests that real cab vs nebula vs impulse that the impulse lost out, easily. It isn't about the technology but rather the quality of the method that the creator uses to sample the gear.

This is why I'm waiting on Ryan to get off his arse and do this shit already!

I would do it myself but I just don't have the right recording environment, in spite of having the gear.

It would seriously be really ace if Ryan (CatharsisStudios?) redid his awesome impulses with new gear for Nebula.
They are my favourite by far.

I agree with you, but I don't think it's due to Nebula itself. The actual recording techniques and gear are the question at this point. We've found in prior tests that real cab vs nebula vs impulse that the impulse lost out, easily. It isn't about the technology but rather the quality of the method that the creator uses to sample the gear.

Precisely. I can understand how this isn't the mindset of many people, simply because I'm the only guy making anything and I'm not that good at it. It's hard to see that everything's there and this is the death of impulses, but that's really the way it is. Nebula has more power than impulses ever could, more than enough to be able to mimic them completely. I've made impulses with Voxengo Deconvolver, and with the same setup, I've made non-dynamic linear programs with Nebula, and they sounded identical. If I wanted to, I could sample KeFIR with one of the Awesometime impulses impulses loaded. Nebula can do all of this and waaay more.

Here's what you have to consider. I've never had a song recording I've been proud of because I can't get cool tones for crap. I'm doing this all in a small bedroom in an apartment at particularly low volumes. Any reflection noise I get is bad, so I have to contain it as best I can. What I'm doing is doing is essentially an elaborate proof of concept.

Look at it like this: I've created over 1,100 impulses, and about 60 Nebula programs. Every single Nebula program sounds leaps and bounds better than every one of the impulses. Don't compare my Nebula programs to Catharsis's impulses. Compare them to MY impulses. THAT'S the kind of difference we're looking at here.

I loaded Nebula as a VST in one of my direct recorded tracks and loaded one of the free programs, but I don't hear the cab simulation.

If I load up an impulse on the same track I hear that the program is affecting the sound of the impulse... but by itself, the Nebula program doesn't seem to do anything.

Any ideas what's going on here?

I loaded Nebula as a VST in one of my direct recorded tracks and loaded one of the free programs, but I don't hear the cab simulation.

If I load up an impulse on the same track I hear that the program is affecting the sound of the impulse... but by itself, the Nebula program doesn't seem to do anything.

Any ideas what's going on here?

Yeah, AE just yelled at me about that. Did you do the step by step? http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/494247-nebula-3-free-programs.html
Don't piss him off. He's an angry lithuanian, known to carry a battle axe everywhere he goes, even White Castle.

Precisely. I can understand how this isn't the mindset of many people, simply because I'm the only guy making anything and I'm not that good at it. It's hard to see that everything's there and this is the death of impulses, but that's really the way it is. Nebula has more power than impulses ever could, more than enough to be able to mimic them completely. I've made impulses with Voxengo Deconvolver, and with the same setup, I've made non-dynamic linear programs with Nebula, and they sounded identical. If I wanted to, I could sample KeFIR with one of the Awesometime impulses impulses loaded. Nebula can do all of this and waaay more.

Here's what you have to consider. I've never had a song recording I've been proud of because I can't get cool tones for crap. I'm doing this all in a small bedroom in an apartment at particularly low volumes. Any reflection noise I get is bad, so I have to contain it as best I can. What I'm doing is doing is essentially an elaborate proof of concept.

Look at it like this: I've created over 1,100 impulses, and about 60 Nebula programs. Every single Nebula program sounds leaps and bounds better than every one of the impulses. Don't compare my Nebula programs to Catharsis's impulses. Compare them to MY impulses. THAT'S the kind of difference we're looking at here.

Yep, i agree with you dudes. It seems we need one of our chief impulses makers here to step up now then :Smug:

I just got hooked on the 421 prog you made! Fucking awesome man! the newest nebula rocks!

Thanks for the tone test tho Stee, and also many thanks to Aternus for keeping Nebula rolling!!! Im still hoping we'll get there some time.

Ok, I made some comparison clips, first we have Ryans awesome4pulse.wav.

https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/371262/8505TestFinal.mp3

Then with no settings changed, the free Nebula program, trying to match volumes as close as I could.

https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/371262/8505TestFinalNebula.mp3

The Nebula program seems to have a lot more high end to me, but maybe that's just my ears right now, as it's 4:01AM here. Let me know what you guys think though.

I like the GH Final version much better personally. I'm hoping you just did something wrong in Nebula and that's why it sounds the way it does.

Hey AE,
just tried the free ones out and they sound great!!

I notice more depth in the low end - and it sounds more realistic when palm muting etc...it's subtle but its there.

AE,

Is there ANY chance in the world you could upload a Marshall 1960 B cab for Neb 3 free ??

Im working on a mix right now and have went through every impulse i have ( a lot !! ) and the one that sounds best is the Neumann TLM 103 Marshall cab - im really impressed!!
But would like to hear how the 1960 B cab would sound on this mix??

Cheers.