AE's Nebula thread (samples, tests, etc)

Not on my end. I tried a few times to mix or EQ the .wav to send it in for deconvolution, but for some reason, when I do that, it comes out all weird. It's just user error, but I never figured it out.

Apart from that, there's really nothing else to do or try, unless you have some ideas.

Not on my end. I tried a few times to mix or EQ the .wav to send it in for deconvolution, but for some reason, when I do that, it comes out all weird. It's just user error, but I never figured it out.

Apart from that, there's really nothing else to do or try, unless you have some ideas.

If you mix or if you equalise the tones you have not to add latency to the tracks because in that case deconvolution will not turn out good because you are changing the offset.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but...If I can't run custom loaded impulses thru Nebula 2 free does that mean there is no chance of trying these with my gear? I mean, I want to buy this, but I would certainly like to test it before, I know some of you guys have uploaded samples, but I would like to try this in a more "familiar" situation.
So..I'm I wrong, or do I just have to buy it right off?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but...If I can't run custom loaded impulses thru Nebula 2 free does that mean there is no chance of trying these with my gear? I mean, I want to buy this, but I would certainly like to test it before, I know some of you guys have uploaded samples, but I would like to try this in a more "familiar" situation.

Yes, you need to at least purchase Nebula 2 to use custom programs.

Yes to use user made programs you need to buy at least Nebula2, but it is only 20 euro so it is very very cheap.

As long as I still own Nebula, it's not Game Over.

But right now, there's nothing I can do that would be any better. I could sample the best cab on earth with some ultra-hot microphones, and you guys will all still say it's fizzy and lacks low end.

But keep in mind, when I bought NAT 3, I also pre-purchased the soon-to-come upgrades, including the Core II engine. I have a lot of faith in this company, and if you don't, just take a look at this thread. Francesco has been here the whole time communicating with us, and he will be until we stop asking questions. That's dedication, and I'm sure that our observations about the sound have not gone unnoticed.

I do encourage other people to make Nebula programs and share them here. I'd love to see what others can come up with!

Thanks guys for your support and your patience. I don't think there is fizz in our emulations, in any case they are better than impulses and anyone even with nebula2 can sample his own cabinets. Don't hesitate to contact me if you need support.

Francesco.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of using nebula because as I understand it the impulse will flatten out the "3d" sound? I wonder if a curve eq would do anything for this so called fizz.
I would say no, I use the dynamics and basic sound from nebula and correcting the audio spectrum with the impulse. I don't see how it would be less 3D when there is nothing but eq the impulse is changing (making the impulse as short as possible). Think of it as a more accurate curve eq, it doesn't flatten anything out, right? I have compared Voxengo Curve EQ and my impulses and the impulses are lightyears more accurate.

The effects that Nebula has on the tone is not an EQ issue you could fix afterwards, it is the content itself that is fucked and unless we find the errors that are the reasons for these alternations we won't get any closer to an optimal emulation of a cab.

I've already proven twice (I'm too lazy to find the posts where I did so right now) that a post curve EQ A/B'd to the original cab tone gives an almost 100% match across the frequency spectrum so we can safely ditch the idea that we would have to fix the fizz and out-of-balance tone with some surgical EQ in our chain. Actually maybe the term fizz is misguiding, it is the overall upper frequencies that have a very unpleasant, harsh and unnatural sound to it, very edgy and metallic sounding whereas a cab has a creamier, smoother tone there. And I am not being picky here, this is some issue that has been present throughout all the clips that have been posted so far and it is something that impulses seem to get right. That, and as mentioned before the lowend doesn't seem to be quite alright.

Basically, all Nebula needs to do is emulate given (good) impulses we have and add its dynamic features to them = pot of gold.
Now we have a more 3D and dynamic sounding result but the cab vibe itself gets lost during the process if you can catch my drift.

To me, anyone who thinks that Nebula tones come closer to the real deal than impulses...with all due respect...lacks the ability to hear the vast differences.

To repeat myself, yes Nebula programs result in a more open and dynamic tone but that's it. They don't feel like a guitar being played through a cab. I am unable to tell you if that is because people who did the programs might have done something wrong or if it is NAT/Nebula itself which needs adjusting for more accurate results.

In the end, impulses are still my go to solution for the closest emulation of cabs, even if it means I'd have to deal with more 2d and flat sounds. Despite being static, at least they get the harmonic content right.

That is just my own personal opinion. I do dig the abilities Nebula seems to offer in the long run but all I'm saying is that we're far from being at a point where we've tapped its full potential it seems. But then again, we'd need a good tone right from the start which we could use as an orientation.

The effects that Nebula has on the tone is not an EQ issue you could fix afterwards, it is the content itself that is fucked and unless we find the errors that are the reasons for these alternations we won't get any closer to an optimal emulation of a cab.

I've already proven twice (I'm too lazy to find the posts where I did so right now) that a post curve EQ A/B'd to the original cab tone gives an almost 100% match across the frequency spectrum so we can safely ditch the idea that we would have to fix the fizz and out-of-balance tone with some surgical EQ in our chain. Actually maybe the term fizz is misguiding, it is the overall upper frequencies that have a very unpleasant, harsh and unnatural sound to it, very edgy and metallic sounding whereas a cab has a creamier, smoother tone there. And I am not being picky here, this is some issue that has been present throughout all the clips that have been posted so far and it is something that impulses seem to get right. That, and as mentioned before the lowend doesn't seem to be quite alright.

Basically, all Nebula needs to do is emulate given (good) impulses we have and add its dynamic features to them = pot of gold.
Now we have a more 3D and dynamic sounding result but the cab vibe itself gets lost during the process if you can catch my drift.

To me, anyone who thinks that Nebula tones come closer to the real deal than impulses...with all due respect...lacks the ability to hear the vast differences.

To repeat myself, yes Nebula programs result in a more open and dynamic tone but that's it. They don't feel like a guitar being played through a cab. I am unable to tell you if that is because people who did the programs might have done something wrong or if it is NAT/Nebula itself which needs adjusting for more accurate results.

In the end, impulses are still my go to solution for the closest emulation of cabs, even if it means I'd have to deal with more 2d and flat sounds. Despite being static, at least they get the harmonic content right.

That is just my own personal opinion. I do dig the abilities Nebula seems to offer in the long run but all I'm saying is that we're far from being at a point where we've tapped its full potential it seems. But then again, we'd need a good tone right from the start which we could use as an orientation.

Yup, big +1 to all